• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli brown bess carbine.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Needed a solid smoothbore to hunt with so I bought a brown bess carbine second hand. I could have bought a pedersoli indian trade musket but I figured that since pedersoli no longer makes the trade musket I may be a little screwed if a spring lost its power frizzen worn out etc whereas there are all sorts of parts that can be bought for a brown bess and made to work in me pedersoli. The only thing that concerns me about the BB carbine is the short barrel and big caliber. I mostly want to hunt deer and turkey so you guys thing I did a dumb here? I know 62 caliber is considered idea for this sort of thing but there are trade guns in the bigger calibers like .72 so apparently not everyone thought so.

Needed a solid smoothbore to hunt with so I bought a brown bess carbine second hand. I could have bought a pedersoli indian trade musket but I figured that since pedersoli no longer makes the trade musket I may be a little screwed if a spring lost its power frizzen worn out etc whereas there are all sorts of parts that can be bought for a brown bess and made to work in me pedersoli. The only thing that concerns me about the BB carbine is the short barrel and big caliber. I mostly want to hunt deer and turkey so you guys thing I did a dumb here? I know 62 caliber is considered idea for this sort of thing but there are trade guns in the bigger calibers like .72 so apparently not everyone thought so.
I had a bess that was cut off to 30’’, and killed a mess of rabbit with it, Mountian quail , one sage hen.
Gun was stolen from me, but it was a sweetie
I think you’ll like your gun, may be a little tough if you want to shoot the flying

@Josh-the-blacksmith, that Brown Bess Carbine will do fine for turkey with shot and deer with ball. Do measure the bore diameter. Most Pedersoli Bess barrels will measure 0.750" in diameter which means that you will need 11 gauge components such as overshot cards. The good news there is that you can find inexpensive arch punches in 3/4" diameter to make your own cards and wads.

Back