• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli flintlock not throwing sparks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytbuzzard1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I only get my Pedersoli to throw sparks just a few times and then nothing. I have to tap on the flint to get a new edge and go through the sequence all over again. I don't understand why I can't get two shots back to back without having flint problems. I am very new to muzzleloaders and I'm having a great time. It would be nice to be able to trust it but I can't practice with steady shots enough to get use to the flash because I never know if it will fire. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Jay,
Can you post any pics of your lock? It may be that your flint is hitting the frizzen too straight on? Mine was doing that and it was ruining flints and not sparking well. I had to adjust my flint so that it was hitting the frizzen at a downward angle. At any rate, if you can post pics, I'm sure some of the guys will chime in and give you some good advice.

Jeff

Oil or residue on the frizzen was something I didn't know about when I first started with flintlocks, long ago. I always would wipe the pan but never thought of the frizzen. When I learned to wipe both the reliability improved tremendously and it's so second nature now we often forget to mention it...thanks.

The flint should be positioned so it arcs down the frizzen at an angle. Too shallow an angle will gouge the frizzen and chip the flint. The first couple of times you'll get amazing sparks, though.

I agree, a picture of the lock with the way you currently position the flint at half-cock will help us tell if that is the issue.

I'm going to make a guess and say that it is your flint that is the problem and not the frizzen. Since it does make sparks for a couple of shots, I am going to tend to rule out the frizzen as the problem. If you have the manual for your rifle, look and see what size flints they recommend. I think you need to use a shorter flint. I think your flint is too long and is striking the frizzen at the wrong angle causing it to dull your flint after only a couple of shots.

All of the answers are possibilities. But, not yet addressed is that the frizzen may be just plain soft. My experience with import frizzens is that they need a lot of help to perform at all. I have had them hardened and one was faced with hacksaw blade. If your gun is one that can have a replacement lock put in, that is the way to go. Check out the L&R RPL locks. You won't regret it.

Jay T said:
I only get my Pedersoli to throw sparks just a few times and then nothing. I have to tap on the flint to get a new edge and go through the sequence all over again. I don't understand why I can't get two shots back to back without having flint problems. I am very new to muzzleloaders and I'm having a great time. It would be nice to be able to trust it but I can't practice with steady shots enough to get use to the flash because I never know if it will fire. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Unless I missed it you didn't say what model of pedersoli. I have the frontier rifle and mine sparks great with an English 7/8 flint from TOTW. Other type flints not so much. Of course this is just my experience but the frontier rifle I have has never failed to ignite the pan unless the flint is in bad shape and I am playing the how long will it last game. I would start with the flint since its the cheapest fix to try first then check the frizzen. Question is when it does spark how is the fireworks show. L & R does make a replacement lock for the frontier/cabelas blue ridge/hatfield rifle for around 140-150 price range but try the flint first.

I am inclined to think it is either the flint or the way the flint is striking the frizzen as has been mentioned. I would try bevel up and bevel down, vary the thickness of the leather or whatever wrap you use to hold the flint in the jaws and perhaps the type of flint. Good English flints from TOW have always been my favorites and work well as long as I do my part in putting them in the jaws. Good luck and I hope it is an easy fix.

for what it's worth, I agree with MacRob46 ... try his suggestions before you plonk down a big wad of overtaxed, God- entrusted dollars for a replacement lock ...

bevel up or bevel down? leather or lead flint wrap? bank away from the touch hole or towards the touch hole?

time to 'duck and cover!'

An update on my Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock. I picked up some English flints from a reputable shop in Hickory, NC. They have been in the business for a long time and work with the traditional stuff all the time. I had placed a tiny strip of leather under the back of my flint to change the angle. This is in addition to the leather wrap. The gunsmith said the angle looked correct and he liked the sparks. It is making consistent sparks. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it seems to have made the difference. I will keep you updated. :)

I had a real problem with my Pedersoli "eating " flints until I "weakened" the frizzen spring by sanding it thinner. Now it works great.You don't need a heavy frizzen spring, just enough force to keep the frizzen closed until the flint strikes it.

I agree with Ohio Ramrod, I just worked on a Pedersoli flintlock off of a Jaeger rifle. The frizzen spring was way stronger than the main spring. It took more than 14 pounds to flip the frizzen open. I know this because my trigger pull gauge only goes to 14 pounds. And the flint was striking the frizzen too low and too directly.

I shaved the frizzen spring, on the side, until I got the frizzen to flip open at 4 pounds. Then I slipped in a piece of a Popsicle stick under the flint which got the flint to scrape the frizzen more than hitting it directly. My friend is very happing. Where he would only get 4 or 5 shots out of a good flint, he is now getting 25 to 30 shots out of the same flints.

Back