• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier Flint Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm changing out my Pedersoli Frontier rifle from percussion to flint. I had debated with myself on what brand lock to put on it as I have the Pedersoli, L&R RPL, and the Chambers Builders option. I'm not really happy with L&R at this moment. The Chamber's Builders lock was perhaps more time than I wanted to spend fitting. I've always been happy with Pedersoli products...I've owned four of their percussion guns and have been very happy with all of them.

WELL....take a look at the lock I received. Talk about absolute and total trash! Believe me...it's going straight back to Dixie!

This first picture shows the gap between the pan and the pan cover with the frizzen completely closed. How much 4F do you suppose would stay in that out hunting!!!

Frontier Lock Pan Gap by mdheaser

This picture shows the extreme misalignment of the cock to the frizzen. One would have to have the flint moved way over to the right in the jaws to have it striking the frizzen.

Frontier Lock Misalignment by mdheaser

Lastly, this is supposed to be a completely finished lock. Look at the rough surface in the pan. If this was all polished like it should be imagine the growth in that gap from picture 1!

Frontier Lock Pan by mdheaser

Now, I've read about people's thoughts on foreign flint lock quality on this forum before, but I could have never imagined that anything like this could get out of anyone's factory. What a piece of junk.

I couldn't abide by that, either. The lock on my Frontier had no gap. Yes, send it right back.

I would also send the pictures and a serious complaint to Pedersoli... If all customers just stay silent they will never feel the need to improve on anything...

Sunkmanitu...yes, I plan to send the pictures to Pedersoli in an "informational" way. Someone in quality control should be talked to on this kind of issue for sure.

I had sent a note to Dixie explaining the issues and asking if this was just a bad lock and the rest of their stock OK...if so I'd just exchange. No response, so I'll take that as "we're too busy to look and you're not important enough....or...yes, all of them are manure and you're outta luck." So net, it's just going back and I think I'll get the Chambers Builders model and custom fit it.

Wow, that's pretty bad. My Pedersoli flintlocks have been great, none of those issues and they perform great. You shouldn't have a problem sending it back for exchange. I'd try calling them.

Sorry to hear that Spike. I hope you can get the issues resolved. I agree, I can't believe someone would ever send that one off the line!

Jeff

We KNOW that was a Pedersoli or was it FOR a Pedersoli?

I bought a backup L&R from TOTW for my Hatfield and my Pedersoli Frontier. No case-hardened or blued plate but it is a decent lock and has to be at least as good as the originals...

Man that to bad my frontier is a real workhorse and have no issues with it. By the way whats the plans for the old percussion lock, I am in need, PM if for sale..

You might want to check the Jim Chambers gunbuilders lock first. I thought I would go that route about 5 or so years ago with a Blue Ridge I had. When you line up the Pedersoli lock with a Siler (same parts for the gunbuilders lock) the sear bar placement didn't match up very well. If I remember correctly it looked like I was going to have to modify the sear bar by maybe extending it in order for the gunbuilders lock to work in the Blue Ridge mortis. I lined up the Blue Ridge lock plate with a Siler lock in Track of the wolf's catalog and the sear bars were not even close. Its been a while and if I remember correctly the relationship between the center of the pan and the sear bar was not correct.

Good luck

Bob

Leatherbark said:
You might want to check the Jim Chambers gunbuilders lock first.

if I remember correctly the relationship between the center of the pan and the sear bar was not correct.

Yes, I mentioned in my original post that the Chambers gunbuilders lock was an option I was looking at. And you're right that the sear to pan is the problem. Same with Chamber's Early Ketland. On the Ketland the lock plate is as close as it could possibly be, but the sear location is way back very near the rear tip while on the Frontier lock the sear is 7/8" forward of the rear tip. I communicated with Jim directly a couple of times and unfortunately, there was just nothing that would work.

While I'm not an L&R fan, that will be what I will end up going with. The Pedersoli's carry a huge and unwarranted premium anyway...and and L&R cannot be worse than what the Pedersoli I received was! I still think that had to be some kind of reject that somehow made it out.

Interesting, though, that I sent the pictures to Pedersoli explaining how happy I've been with all their products to-date and wanted to show them this lock. No response from them either. Nothing from Dixie....nothing from Pedersoli. Sent it back to Dixie for refund and I'll buy the L&R elsewhere. :idunno:

Spikebuck. Out of curiosity...why don't you like l&r locks? I was thinking if going with the rpl lock from tow....I've never heardcanything bad that I can remember

I'm in the market for a new lock for my new-to-me .36 Frontier. The Full Cock notch in the tumbler is stripped and the tumbler itself is soft. $48+shipping for a new one, so I was thinking of just upgrading to the L&R. Never had an issue with my .50 Frontier lock, but for the price difference, I figure the L&R from TOW would be a better upgrade than a replacement from Pedersoli. Is the L&R a direct replacement with only minor inletting? I know both of my frontiers have a screw in front of the frizzen spring, but the L&R pictured on TOW for this rifle does not seem to have a hole drilled there. Do I need to drill one or will the main lock screw suffice?

Thanks. It is just a wood screw. I didn't think it was neccessary, but figured it must be there for a reason.

Back