• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli functions check?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priest

Pilgrim
Reaction score
long story short, an AR/Glock guy found a seriously beaten up Pedersoli brown bess reproduction. barrel is covered in rust, no flint, scarred stock, tarnished brass.

First thing I checked was if it was loaded. I shined a flashlight down the barrel, and I saw light out of the tiny flash hole, so I figured it was safe.

the trigger seems safe enough. It actually has a pretty incredible trigger, and I am seriously considering shooting it.

The question is, how do I functions check this guy to make sure it is safe to shoot? Not standard gun checks, I did everything on that list I could think of. I mean things directly related to the flintlock portion of it.

I checked it over for cracks, dings, and the standard firearms inspections. all screws are tight, no cracks in the wood, and the trigger seems stable. I used CLP, a rag, and some elbow grease to clean up the rust, but some still remains. seems like half the barrel is shiny steel, and the other is brown parkering, or something.

My local gunshop, and all other gun-runners in the phone book are centerfire guys, and wouldn't offer an opinion on the thing. Any advice?

I would tie it down, load it and with a string from behind a tree pull and hope :)

Darrel

Darrel's right, That's an old trick, they'd lay the gun in an old tire with the butt against the bead an pull the trigger while hiding from a distance.
It's kinda hard for anyone to say "Sight un-seen" what condition the gun is in.
How's the bore? Smooth? Scaley? Pitted?
I'd try a snug fitting patch an jag combo if possible down the bore feeling for loose areas indicating a buldge,,

Where did your buddy find it? Pawnshop? Garage? Old Barn attic? Swamp?
Who had possession of it? Great Uncle Fred or cousin Bubba?

If there is no flint in the jaws don't let the hammer drop! It can tear itself up unless the flint (or a piece of wood etc.) strikes the frizzen when the cock drops forward. There has to be something for it to hit. That is a pretty heavy chunk of metal with a stout spring. Momentum needs to be checked or stuff will break. Don't just "dry-fire" with nothing in the jaws.

If there is a muzzleloading club near you try to get together with them at a shoot and ask for advice. Or, maybe there is a forum member near you who would go shooting with you. Where abouts are you located?

As far as function checks;
Do both half cock and full cock engage?
Put it in the half-cock position and pull the trigger a little, don't really pull HARD or you could break it but put good pressure on it. It should not fire.
Put it in the full-cock position and rap the butt sharply on the ground (not cement or rocks :shocked2: ). It should not fire.
Does the frizzen close tightly yet flip up easily, and stay, when fired?
Any noticable gaps between lock and barrel?
With a flint in the jaws does it throw good sparks?
If all that is good then it should shoot. Whether or not it is safe to shoot I can't say without seeing it in person.

Latest posts

Back