• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
first, i will admit i am new to this and did not have a mentor except the computer(my family only uses percussions or cartridge except me ).
However, my pedersoli kentucky in .36 has been a slow starter from day one. It simply will not bang without making a fuse through the touchhole. I have taken a few squerrils with it, and i love it, but i need it to fire faster. I am using FFFG triple seven as main charge, with 4f goex as primer. I always get flash, but the ignition in the barrel either doesn't happen (when i prime away from hole), or it is very slow when i fuse it.
I understand now i should get goex 3f for main charge by my readingon this forum. I have also dremeled the pan to be deeper, thus creating a higher touchole, and i coned the liner a bit more as well. Have not tried it since the dremeling. Is there anything else i should do besides switch powder?
I want to say that the accuracy of this rifle is phenominal, i just wish it wouold go off faster and more often. ideas?

You really need to get some REAL black powder if you want faster ignition. I am surprized you are getting any ignition with 777. Get some Goex 3f and drill the vent hole out to 1/16" if it isn't already and you should be all set.

Sounds like you have do just about everything you need to do to speed up the ignition except for the powder. Using real BP will be like night and day when it comes to a faster ignition. Try different amounts of prime and different locations in the pan. Stay away from the touch hole except to keep it clear. Let us know how it works when you get some Black Powder.
Fox :hatsoff:

Get some GOEX FFFg for your main charge and your troubles should be over. Triple 7 is not black powder and it takes more to ignite it. Le Grand

that's what i wanted to hear! i also forgot to ask, the liner is supposed to be removable in pedersoli's right? i could not budge mine no matter what, even using an impact driver hit with a hammer. no movement whatsoever. it has a slot on it though, so i know it should be removable.....any tricks to getting stubborn ones out? will they drill out or something? i dunno, help!

Drill that hole out to 5/64 and put some real 3f in the barrel and it will go off like a percussion rifle.
Get some stuff called kroil and soak it. Or leave it in and just drill it bigger.
Or call TOW and get a new one and drill out the old one. But drill it out to 5/64.

They have told you right ... real black powder (forget the artificial stuff), and perhaps a larger touch hole!
I have a Ped Frontier, and its fires well & quick, with those 2 issues controlled. :hatsoff:

Davy

armymedic.2 said:
the liner is supposed to be removable in pedersoli's right? i could not budge mine no matter what, even using an impact driver hit with a hammer. no movement whatsoever.

It sounds like you are on top of things with the .36.

As for the liner, leave it in. TH liners are not supposed to come out, except for replacement.

IMHO, I would enlarge the TH to no more than .062 for such a small caliber. How deep did you cone the liner? IMHO, the cone on the outside of the liner should extend to the bottom of the screw slot.

Just a thought! And I will probably get in trouble for suggesting this, but that has never stopped me. :grin:

Just as an experiment, try 10-15 gr of FFFFG as a main charge to compare the difference in ignition between the triple 7 and black.

Better yet, try 10 gr of priming behind a reduced charge of triple 7. I think you will be surprised at the difference in speed of ignition.

This duplex load will also allow you to use up what is left the the triple 7 that you have. Triple 7 probably will probably have a short self life, so you might as well shoot it up.

J.D.

i coned the outside almost to the screw line, did not go further for fear of stripping down gun screws (even though i couldn't move the thing anyway) i wanted to remove the liner to see the cone or cone it more on the inside.

I will try to use u what i have, probably by coaxing some ffffg into the charge with my pick, because i am wary of using too much in my measure by accident. thanks so much for all of your prompt responses, best forum so far i have ever been on.
if i do drill out the th liner to replace it, anyone have tricks to drill out without screwing the barrel screw up?

I wouldn't worry about drilling it out at this point. Just leave it in, drill the vent hole out either 1/16" or 5/64" and get some real black powder. If you have been hitting stuff with the slow ignition speed you have now, you should do Great after getting real powder. :thumbsup:

My God, who told you that you can use Triple 7 in a flintlock????

The subs are for percussion actions, only, --oh, and those funny, in-@#$@% that we don't talk about on this forum. Flintlocks require Black powder. You can use FFFg Goex powder in that .36 and you should get much faster ignition.

The Subs don't work because they have a much higher flashpoint ( temperature of ignition ) than does Black Powder.

If you can't find Black powder at your local store, join the crowd. You can order it directly from Powder, Inc., or Graf & Sons, see the Membership services at the top of the index and look for suppliers to find these companies. Or you can contact Goex directly, at their web site, and get the phone number and name of the distributor that serves your area. Call them and find out where the nearest retailer is located. YOu have to pay the same HAZMAT fee for any shipment, so it pays you to order in quantity. Find other BL shooters, and put together an order so you can justify a 25 lb. box. That will cut the cost per pound down to the lowest price you will get. BP lasts forever, if its stored in a cool dry location. Its not getting any cheaper, so buying a quantity, now, is just good financial planning.

I have a .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge flint. I use 3Fg Goex for the main charge and 4Fg Goex for priming. I also can't remove the factory vent liner. I did drilled it to 1/16 inch. This flintlock is just as fast, if not faster, than many percussion locks. You could try the duplex loads with that triple 7, but it's a lot more fun to make a sky rocket :rotf: .

i did dril out the th to 1/16, and it does self prime about 10-20 kernels, but no big deal right? i am hoping my lady gun dealer carries it, but i am a rarity where i live, so no way to justify a 25 lb box. i wish i could shoot that much but i just can't! yall have really been helpful, i appreciate it very much.
i havre actually had squerrils run before charge ignition! i gotta say though, the 36 really knocks em out of the tree when it does go off!

What everyone else has said about real blackpowder. It will also work better in those cussin guns, so that might be a source to help you make a group purchase. All that imitation faux powder makes all kinds of claims about being cleaner, and smelling less like sulphur. Well it takes just as long to clean, and they still smell, just not like sulphur. A case from Powder inc, should be about $10 bucks a pound, even with the hazmet fee. So find some cussin shooters to join in and it's no big deal, or just shoot more often. It don't go bad.
P.S. welcome to the forum, the answer to all yer questions, and some fun also. Your home for Muzzleloaders Anonamous. Blackpowder addicts welcome

Bill

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it left!

Hey Doc,
Like Rebel says and here's the link:[url] http://www.powderinc.com/index.html[/url] . My brother-in-law was an Army medic in Nam. During his first fire fight in the bush, he found out that red cross was target. After that, he was a good soldier with medical training :rotf: . I was artillary, 155mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Pedersoli has the same slotted vent liner and I had trouble removing it for the first time. Try immersing the breech end of the barrel in extra-hot water for a few minutes, then it should come out with just a screw-driver. This technique works on stubborn jar lids too.

armymedic.2 said:
i coned the outside almost to the screw line, did not go further for fear of stripping down gun screws (even though i couldn't move the thing anyway)

I wouldn't worry about removing too much of the screw slot when coning the exterior. You won't remove enough to make all that much difference if the cone stops at the bottom of the screw slot.
Just don't get carried away. :nono:

A good fitting screwdriver, a little heat applied to the barrel around the liner, some penetrating oil, and some patience will remove the liner.

armymedic.2 said:
i wanted to remove the liner to see the cone or cone it more on the inside.

Good idea, but if ignition is good, I wouldn't worry about that, for now.

armymedic.2 said:
I will try to use u what i have, probably by coaxing some ffffg into the charge with my pick, because i am wary of using too much in my measure by accident.

I wouldn't worry about using too much priming as and igniter under the triple 7. If your measure is set for 10 gr, that's what it will throw. Just reduce the charge of triple 7 by 10 gr, and you should be good to go.

The danger in using priming as an igniting charge is using too much, since 4F burns so much faster than the other granulations, but only 10 gr-15 gr of 4F should not pose a problem...as long as you reduce the charge of triple 7 by the same amount.

If, by chance, your measure won't meter volumes as small as 10 gr., you can make a 10-gr. measure from a small pistol cartridge. The volume of 3F powder in various pistol cartridges is listed in the “Non-traditional powder measures” thread in “shooting accessories”.

I'll send you a coupla empty cartridge casings for use as measures, if that would help. Just let me know which casings would be of benefit.

These flint guns are a LOT of fun, but they can be a serious PITA when they don't work right.
J.D.

cowpoke, glad to know ya brother, thanks for serving :hatsoff: . they haven't made me play in the sand yet, but im sure i will have to soon.

JD, thnaks for the offer, i do idpa comps and reload my own pistol ammo so i don;t need casings, thank for the offer and good idea though! should have hough of that one on my own :redface:

Armymedic, If you can manage to get your touchhole liner out then you can drill the backside out larger and shorten the liner so it does not protrude into your communication hole in your breechplug. These little things along with Black powder will really help. Polish the bottom of your pan with 600grit Wet/Dry and crocus cloth for a mirror finish will help keep mud out of your pan from high humidity times. Your touchole liner is seized up ......Mine did that on my Blue Ridge and I bought another from Dixie Gun Works. I had to use an Easy out to remove the old liner. I remove mine from time to time to clean out the patent breech. If my gun had a regular breech I would just leave it in

Back