• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yarrum

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone own one or have experience with one?

Are you happy with it?

What kind of accuracy do you get with a round ball?

No personal experience, but the locks are poorly designed, at best. Some folks replace the lock pretty quickly, but IMHO, for the price of a new piece and the price of a replacement lock, or a little more, you can buy a much higher quality American made piece.

Check out NorthStar West, Caywood, Track, Mike Brooks fowling guns, Jim Parker at Calvary longrifles, Early Rustic, or TVM, to name a few.

God bless

I put one together. It goes off and kills stuff. I haven't shot balls from it yet. Will this summer. To get the flints to strike the proper spot on the frizzen, I have to have a pretty short flint. Most of the flints I have purchased from good knappers, strike too high on the frizzen. Once I get them striking in the proper place, the gun and lock fires quickly.

Dan

J.D. said:
No personal experience, but the locks are poorly designed, at best. Some folks replace the lock pretty quickly, but IMHO, for the price of a new piece and the price of a replacement lock, or a little more, you can buy a much higher quality American made piece.

Check out NorthStar West, Caywood, Track, Mike Brooks fowling guns, Jim Parker at Calvary longrifles, Early Rustic, or TVM, to name a few.

God bless
Stay away from Early Rustic Arms....unless you want to wait 2 or more years. Go North Star West or TVM and have a shorter wait and a better product

I have one that I bought used and the lock was tuned so I have no problems. The only complaint I have is the patent breach can be a problem. I am not a huge fan of them and would rather it not have one. If anyone knows os someone who can redo the breach for me I would be thankful.

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

If the cock has a goose neck, then you will need to heat up the neck to orange/white to bend it safely. If the cock is a military style(Brown Bess, is an example) with a " double Throat", you will need to first cut through the front "neck", and then heat the rear neck to bend the cock. Then when its bent sufficiently, you need to weld the front "neck" back together.

Bending a cock to the right angle is best done with a template made to guide you, that shows the original angles of the cock, and then the New angle you want the jaw to take.

Cocks with short lengths may need the neck opened to lengthen the cock, and then bent to the correct angle of impact. Its always better if you can find a new cock that is longer, than to mess around with this kind of effort., But, with care, it can be done.

Just remember that virtually all cocks are CAST parts, so that they have to be heated properly before working the metal to any serious degree of change. They are steel, not iron, so they are NOT brittle. They are not hardened, as would be a knife blade. But they are relatively soft steel, and can break under severe stress.

They come with the "Lott" lock which is just a reduced size Brown Bess lock, not the most technologically advanced lock but they can be tuned up to work OK. I don't believe bending the cock is necessary nor that it improves anything.

Britsmoothy said:
Can that be fixed by bending the cock some?

Brits.

IMHO, the LOTT lock on the Ped trade gun can be made to work reliably, but it takes more than minor tinkering to get 'em right. The LOTT lock is well known for poor geometry so few professional ML gunsmiths will even try to tune them. They are that bad.

One of the Davis tradegun locks in a very close drop in, with a little finesse of the inlet, but I don't remember which one, off hand.

Again, IMHO, you can bet a MUCH higher quality piece with a MUCH higher quality American made lock for not much more than the Ped and a replacement lock.

Jim Parker, at Calvary Longrifles, might build a nice one for you for about the same money. And you can talk to him, one on one, to get those nice little details that aren't offered by Pedersoli.
http://www.parkerfirearms.com/main.html

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back