• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Mortimer rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakimaman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for feedback on Pedersoli's Mortimer flintlock rifle. I really like the looks of this gun but am a bit leary of buying one without hearing what others have found. Quality ok? This is supposed to be a copy of an English sporting rifle of the mid 1700s - I did see an original English gun in the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto that other than the safety incorporated in Pedersoli's gun, was pretty much identical. Comments would be appreciated.

rm

I have seen, handled, and shot one Mortimer .54-caliber flintlock rifle. Its quality control was very good. While I particularly appreciated the horizontally sliding stalking safety, subsequently, I have been informed it is less durably made than it should be. This I cannot verify, though.

Hope this helps.

I went into the market for a specific type of weapon back in 2000; 1/2 stock, .54 cal, flinter, minimum brass and browned ... well as much as possible.
I came up with 2 weapons that year in the DGW catalogue; The Mortimer and the 1803 Harpers ferry.

At the time, the 1803 was $100 cheaper at $650. But the deciding factor was DGW was straight forward about how intricate the lock was in the Mortimer. In my experience, intricate = too many possible screw ups/ breakage.
The 1803 was sturdier ( by vicarious reports) AND a stone less.
My only mistake was waiting on the purchase; it WAS $650... untill the Lewis n Clark Bicentenial... Now it's $1000 unless you get it post xmas sale for usually $800 or so. I even missed that 2 years ago by 4 days. BUT? I still got it and have NO regrets aside from timeline.
I still want to do early fur trade and or F&I war, but this weapon is considerably out of those timeline where as the Mortimer is apparently spot on.

There has been one of these Mortimer rifles for sale for a couple of years now at a small town muzzle loader supply shop near by. I've examined it on a couple of occassions and it appears to be in very fine condition. Seems a bit muzzle heavy to me. I think the shop keeper has marked it down a bit to around 800 dollars. That is the last time I looked at it a couple of months ago.

that's only $50 more than they were going for in 2000. Not bad.
How heavy? My 1803 is 9 1/2 lbs. Does it have a quasi match barrel?

Sorry Yak, I have been kinda saving for that one! :v I did not know that there were specialty target barrels as an option from Pedersoli for the Mortimer??

I have had one for almost 20 years. Excellent quality! Accurate rifle with a super fast lock. Shooting this gun makes other flintlocks seem clunky and slow. Even though it takes a small flint, I get 50+ shots with each since the lock's geometry is smooth and nearly faultless. Since I teach muzzle-loading rifle safety for Florida Hunter Safety courses and NRA Muzzle loading Rifle Instructor seminars, this gun gets shot a lot. I have several custom made flintlocks with "quality" locks and barrels that don't hold a candle to the Mortimer. I particularly like the ease of removing the barrel for cleaning.

I have owned a Mortimer for many years. On the positive side it has a fast lock, easy to clean and very accurate. On the negative I spend some time filing and manipulating the 2 flip up sights to get it to shoot centre.

:hmm: Have had mine for 9 years. A high quality production piece but currently kind of pricey. Very accurate, a little on the heavy side (about 10 lbs), beautifully made by Pedersoli.The lock is a little jewel, made like a fine Swiss watch.

hobowonkanobe said:
I went into the market for a specific type of weapon back in 2000; 1/2 stock, .54 cal, flinter, minimum brass and browned ... well as much as possible.
I came up with 2 weapons that year in the DGW catalogue; The Mortimer and the 1803 Harpers ferry.

At the time, the 1803 was $100 cheaper at $650. But the deciding factor was DGW was straight forward about how intricate the lock was in the Mortimer. In my experience, intricate = too many possible screw ups/ breakage.
The 1803 was sturdier ( by vicarious reports) AND a stone less.
My only mistake was waiting on the purchase; it WAS $650... untill the Lewis n Clark Bicentenial... Now it's $1000 unless you get it post xmas sale for usually $800 or so. I even missed that 2 years ago by 4 days. BUT? I still got it and have NO regrets aside from timeline.
I still want to do early fur trade and or F&I war, but this weapon is considerably out of those timeline where as the Mortimer is apparently spot on.

The Mortimer was state of the art circa 1800-1810.
The HF is state of the art 1750 other than the 1/2 stock maybe.

Dan

Latest posts

Back