• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Mortimer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a chance to buy a Pedersoli Mortimer rifle. It is the target sighted version. Came into a local gunshop in as new condition. Anyone here have any experience with the Mortimer?

Mortimer.jpg

giz

I love mine! Fastest firing flinter I have ever had. Mine shoots .535 balls patched with .018 Pillow-ticking into 2" groups at 50 yards with 60 grains of Goex FFFg. It also is very accurate with the Lee 300 grain R.E.A.L bullet using the same load. It is easy to clean with the hooked breech and barrel wedge construction. You'll really enjoy it.

I have one. It's a very nice rifle, but it's a little heavy. In fact, I had the barrel cut down by 6" on mine and it helped considerably. Since yours is the target model, I wouldn't recommend doing that. I don't know if the target model is different, but mine is a .54, with RB twist.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed. Still have mine, just don't shoot anymore.

May sell mine, if your deal falls through.

I shot against one a few months back. It was a tack driver! Also a very nicely made gun all around. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

A friend of me shoots with a percussion Mortimer.
Very nice and very well shooting rifle.

I see the one you show is a flintlock model. I am just wondering if the original Mortimer was percussion, or flintlock, or both. I would be inclined to think percussion, but sure the flintlock is a nice rifle and maybe I am considering it as my next rifle.

Anyone knows for sure?

Tb

Funny, the Pedersoli website list them as smoothbore 12 gauge, but what I read above indicates a .54 calibre rifle with a rate of twist suitable for round ball. What is the case with this flinter?

There are various versions

-a shotgun (I think in dluxe and regular version)

-roundball rate twist (two calibers, deluxe and normal, percussion or flintlock)

-conical rate twist (two calibers, deluxe and normal, percussion or flintlock)

Maybe also another version which is also for conical with different sights. The mortimer is a very appreciated target rifle.

Tb

I have the .54 ,but also a 12 ga barrel for it Bore is a bit tight for .530 /w.o18 patch good shooter.....Stickwalker

I have one. Nice rifle. It's a tack driver, but at a little more than 10 pounds, I don't like lugging it through the woods. It's got a patent breech, so if you're not used to this, it can be tricky. Mine's a .54 and likes 60 grains of 2f and a .530 RB with a .015 patch. Of course, that's a target load.

If the price is right, you won't be disappointed...

My old hunting partner had one and it was a very nice accurate rifle/good patterning shotgun in flint. He had both barrels. He did have a problem with breaking main springs on the lock however.

At the time we were doing two shoots a month at various clubs and the Mortimer got a lot of use.

He finally got a Bess Carbine because it was not so prone to parts issues.

The Pedersoli Mortimer Target flinter is a gun that ruled long time our (german) national and a lot of international competitions.
I remember a test of it in a german gun-magazine. They said there´s only one sad thing about the Mortimer: If you don´t hit the target dead center you can´t blame it on the rifle.. :shocked2: :haha:

So, if you can get one for a reasonable price: Grab it! :thumbsup:
If you don´t want it - send it to me. :wink: :grin:

Latest posts

Back