• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Quality?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahquamenon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Greeings folks.

What the consensus on Pedersoli quality, fit and finish?

I've not even seen one up close and was wondering if they are even worth looking at for a good flintlock rifle?

Thanks much! :peace:

Tahquamenon

I have a 32.cal blue ridge flinter it is a nice gun. I killed a lot of ground hogs with it .Heres what I don't like the lock will eat up a regular flint in few shots.I had to use the sawed flints to get any time between changing flints. It has a good spark as long as flint is sharp. I use 20gr 3fff with patched ball it is pretty accurate. Try to shot under 40 yards The lock is a little large for this slender rifle. Would look neater with a smaller lock Metal to wood is good I paid 400. 3yrs ago Little bit of powder, little lead, shots far, kills dead dilly

I have a Brown Bess trade gun and a Mortimer Whitworth rifle from them. Both look really good. The MW rifle shoots very well with a big old conical. I haven't played with the trade gun enough yet to really have an idea of it's potential. I will say that it does go off every time.
Bimbo

I've handled and shot their Frontier rifle and carbine, both 50 cal percussion. I have to say that they were some of the best-ballanced MLs I've shot. My wife fell in love with the carbine, so I'll probably be picking one up for her. She only used it for snowshoe hares and targets, but hated to return it to the owner in time for deer season.

Fit and finish were excellent- on par with Lyman, and a little better in some details.

Greeings folks.

I've not even seen one up close and was wondering if they are even worth looking at for a good flintlock rifle?

Thanks much! :peace:

Tahquamenon

IMHO and speaking from personal experience. Pedersoli guns are over hyped and over priced, the quality is not there for the bucks paid out.

They do put out a slick catalog, (which originally hooked me) where the photos are much better than the products.

I have a Pedersoli 12 ga. Mortimer flintlock shotgun and a .45 cal Kentucky flintlock pistol. Quality on both is top knotch as far as I can see. Both fire reliably and the 12 ga. has taken a couple of deer, a turkey and some sqerls. Would not hesitate to recommend them.
NoDeer

As is the case in most things, I think that this depends upon the particular item. I have seen a few that I thought were pretty good guns and a few that seemed lacking. Are you looking at a particular model so that our responses might be focused on that item?

YMHS,
CrackStock

If I could find a used flint "lock" somewhers, I'd convert my wife's 14 year-old Pedersoli Blue Ridge to "flint", in a heart-beat!!

However, I refuse to buy a new flint "lock" from a Pedersoli dealer because of the outlandish price asked!!

Pedersoli does offer a good solid rifle otherwise!! :imo: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

I've had a Pedersoli Sharps and their Jaeger. Very high quality, fit and finish with top notch accuracy. I miss them both :(

Tahquamenon,
This question pops up every few weeks on MLF.
I have owned, and own many DP firearms, all of which I purchased new. Yes, they can be perceived as over-priced, but they don't really have much competition.

1 - Fit & Finish has always been perfect.

2 - I can't comment on authenticity, but I refer to their various American Longrifle styles as "generic".

3 - DP appear to have 2 levels of "quality" (excluding the Luxury models, which I cannot comment on). For example, the quality of the internal lock parts featured on Frontier / Kentucky / Pennsylvania etc models are definately of a lower quality than say the Mang in Graz handgun which features polished lock parts; this lock feels much more "crisp" than the Frontier lock.

4 - I have owned DP 1816 Springfield, Frontier flinter (both gone) and currently Indian Trade Rifle; without exception ALL THREE sparked POORLY and required tuning & appropriate frizzen hardening.

5 - It didn't take very long for the frontier percussion lock to break down but a $15.00 fix gave it many years of service.

6 - I don't have the exact figures here at work (I do at home) but from memory it took approx 4,000 shots for the barrel to be "shot-out" in my Frontier percussion. In all fairness, this was my first firearm and through my ignorance I may have not cleaned it etc properly, on the other hand it did a lot of work in a very short period. For the sake of providing an "unbiased opinion" I rebarreled it with a GM.
Whist the stock "finish" on the frontier was beautiful, it did not like water, in fact water would "remove" the finish like acid, however, several years later I purchased a Frontier flinter which did not suffer from this problem.
:imo:
Jim.
:thumbsup:

As I posted earlier, I fell for Pedersoli sales pitch and their slick catalog. This was on purchase of a Mortimer with (what was supposed to be) interchangeable (rifle/shotgun) barrels, dig that neatly aligned touch hole liner. ("NOT")

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/files/P1010006.JPG

Same Mortimer, the diopter sight base was so out of line, (note mis-alignment with tang screw slot, that was, aligned dead on down top barrel flat) that sight would be looking to the right at a fence post if you were looking down range at target.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/files/P1010011.JPG

and non-alignment with top barrel flat in this pic.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/files/base_barrel.JPG

The main spring stirrup extended below the lock plate when uncocked and slammed into the bottom of lock mortise when lock was tested.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/files/stirrup_a1.JPG

Lock mortise ding.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/files/better_stirrup.JPG

I was one disappointed puppy with the bloody mess. The only good thing to come out of the entire affair was, that after many emails and much acrimony, I did get my (US) $1360.00 refunded.

why not get a kit from track of the wolfe and make yur own??then yu could have a period correct type firearm?? everybody deserves one good dog, one good woman, and one good gun!!! :hmm: :thumbsup: :m2c:

I've got a Blue Ridge in .36 that is great. I have 2 young boys & it's their favorite.

My oldest son has a Persoli 2nd model Bess that we gave him in about 1986. Several years ago Kit Ravenshear modified it into a 1st model.We hardened the frizzen twice and finally wound up buying a new one and I sent it to a gunsmith friend who sent it off for some kind of carbon treatment with his other lock parts.Other than that it has done everything it was supposed to do.It's been a good gun.

TANSTAAFL,.... I can understand yore "disappointment" after spend'n $1360.00!! (I would'a been "scream'n" too!!) :thumbsup:

Luckily, my Pedersoli purchases have always been satisfactory!!

YMHS
rollingb

My Brown Bess Carbine was a Pedersoli kit, but everything was drilled right, inletting was good, and the gun went together well. I REALLY got a NICE piece of wood, which I'm sure was mostly just "luck of the draw". All in all been VERY satisfied with Old Bloody Bess and she's provided quite a few Grouse dinners. Ignition is fast and positive, and reliable. She's a keeper for sure.

I think that generally speaking Pedersoli is good, but I don't doubt that some "monday morning" products come off the line at times.

Rat

I have bought a number of DP's
The first was a copy of the 45/70 trap door Springfield and I am embaressed about what I paid for it. It never shoot well and the sights we so poorly regulated that I had to pay a gunsmith to fix them. Of course it "LOOKED GREAT" I traded it.
My Frontier .50 cal Percusion is a nice rifle. I shot it just about ever week last year. It seems to be very finiky, must be the 1/48 twist?? For what I paid for it I could have bought a Kit from just about any one.
My latest is a flint .50 cal kit.
The kit was very easy to put together and when I shot it this weekend. I loaded 10 shots and every one fired no problem. Sparking was good and the flint seems to be holding up.
I must say I don't like the endcap and the small finely threaded screw that hold the barrel and endcap in place. It is cheap and I couldn't get it to work.The endcap kept falling off.
I finaly played builder with the kit and drilled and installed a barrel loop and pined the barrel. I also had to reset the end cap back so there was enough wood to firmly fit the endcap to the stock.I am a beginer and left a few glaring errors,but it is finely ready to be shot on a regular baisis. I am waiting to see how well it holds up to being shot every week.
I find most of the Italian guns are ment to "LOOK GOOD" and be shot sparlingly. This also includes the many BP revolvers that they make and the cowboy repos.
One day I will learn and buy American.

Just got a DP Frontier Delux .50cal flint on sale at Cherry's Fine Guns. www.cherrys.com and it is the nicest muzzle loader I have ever seen next to a Hatfield my friend has. It is simple a piece of art. Have not shot it but Cherry's had a great deal on them and I had to get it. :m2c:
Good luck on your search.

Seems like you have had a few more DP's than I, but my experience with Italian guns sure is different.

The Brown Bess is certainly a shooter. It's a rock solid weapon...I could shoot it all day every day for sure. I shoot 110 grains of Swiss under a ball in it on a regular basis, and my shot loads also use 110 grains. I certainly dont' baby it.

My ArmiSport 1861 Springfield is also a rock-solid piece, built like a tank to put it mildly. I shoot an even 100 grains under a 456 grain REAL.

All the BP revolvers I have had have been good shooters too, especially the Uberti Remington Navy I have.

I do have an EuroArms 1860 Colt that does seem to keep losing the loading lever catch no matter what I do. Had it BRAZED on last time, filled a chamber with 777 and it sheared the darn thing right off the barrel. Do'H!!! Other than that, I've had it over 20 years and it's still tight and timed.

Rat

Latest posts

Back