• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli trigger problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Pedersoli 45 cal Pennsylvania rifle. It looks brand new and the guy I got it from said that he bought it several years ago but had never fired it because he couldn't get the set triggers to work. I know very little about the mechanics of triggers however the rifle was such a deal I bought it. The problem is that the rear trigger will not "set" the front trigger. Turning the adjustment screw between the triggers all the way out or all the way in makes no difference. The rifle will cock and fire using the front trigger but the trigger pull is incredibly heavy.
Does any one have any suggestions on what the issue may be?
thanks

I'd have to see it. Can you take some detailed macro pictures of the removed set assembly group from different angles and post them. Sounds like the set trigger is not making sear contact and setting. There can be a number of causes.
Quite often the main sear lever ,not the set trigger sear, is contacting the stock at some point and hindering trigger release. MD

My first guess is that your lock and/or trigger mortise has some wood that needs to be removed. Take a candle and smoke the sear bar and then replace your lock and try to set the trigger using the rear trigger. Give it several trys and then carefully remove the lock and examine the sear bar for places where the soot has been removed. Do this a couple times to be sure and then remove a small amount of wood where it is rubbing on the sear bar. Try the trigger again to see if you removed enough wood and if it works properly.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can do some disassembly tomorrow night and see what is going on. I'll try to take some pics and post them also.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good idea and I would soak both assemblies in oil or solvent and give them both a going over with a tooth brush. Oil tends to get gummy after long periods. Geo. T.

Topbike,if you have a owners manual read how to ajust the set triggers and do it exactly how they say.If that doesn't work you have one of the issues the others mentioned.I hope you get it figured out because as you probably know it is almost impossible to have any accuracy with these rifles with the front trigger.I have a Frontier .54 and love the rifle except for the front trigger pull.Good luck.

Thanks to all for your replies. Special thanks for the link to the info on double triggers. I am relatively new to BP so that info was very welcome. Good advice on following the manual however, I did not get one with the rifle and I can't figure out how to find one on the Pedersoli site. Starting with the basics and eliminating possible solutions one at a time is a good rem
inder.
Hopefully I can look at it tonight and figure out what exactly is going on.

I had the same problem on a gun as I was building it. When I removed the set triggers, there was a chip of wood stopping the back trigger from setting.

I'll bet your triggers work ok when out of the gun. It's probably just a minor interference.

Success! It turned out be a small chip of wood wedged behind the rear trigger. Must have been leftover from the inletting process.
The members of this forum are a welcome wealth of knowledge for a newbie, and your willingness to share that knowledge is definitely appreciated. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Latest posts

Back