• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Tryon rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Grizz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello The Camp !

Is there anybody shooting the Pedersoli Tryon Rifle ?
Would like to know your feeling about it.

I've been using a .45 Tryon for a while now. It shoots well with patched ball and lee cast minnie bullets which makes it quite flexible for target shooting. The .45 is a little front heavy but with the crescent butt plate and finger spur trigger guard it holds well off-hand. I guess the 50s and 54s would be less heavy at the front.
I've added a globe frontsight and a short creedmore to the tang to help aiming.
It's easy to clean up - back action and hooked breech help here.
I all a good rifle.

Hello,

Which brand and item ref. did you put as globe sight and tang site ?
Which load did you shoot with Minie and round patched ball ?
Some friends of mind shoot larger round balls without any patch and told is really OK.

I think it's a USA 469 globe on the front and a USA 465 at the back.
The foresight is a sraight knock out the old blade and knock in the globe.
But.......the creedmore wasn't a straight bolt-on on my gun. I had to do a bit of work on the base of the sight to get it to match the profile of the tang (and the steel is HARD!!) and some modifications screw and hole wise to make it fit.
I found swearing at it helped a lot!!!!

As to loads 28 grains of Swiss 2 and a .440 cast ball with a 12 thou patch lubed with moose snot shoots really well off hand at 50m (Vetterli match style) the Lee minnie goes well with 35 grains of the same powder. Very low recoil for standing.

Further back, 55 grains of Swiss 2 behind the same minnie does the job with good accuracy.

I'm sure the rest of the guys will give thier ideas of good loads - and I'm betting they will be more extravagant in the powder department. However I'm only making holes in paper and use just enough to get the job done with least recoil.

DCF said:
I've been using a .45 Tryon for a while now. It shoots well with patched ball and lee cast minnie bullets which makes it quite flexible for target shooting. The .45 is a little front heavy but with the crescent butt plate and finger spur trigger guard it holds well off-hand. I guess the 50s and 54s would be less heavy at the front.
I've added a globe frontsight and a short creedmore to the tang to help aiming.
It's easy to clean up - back action and hooked breech help here.
I all a good rifle.

I have a Tryon Match, brand new. My first ML.
It was suggested to me by experienced shooters and altough I cannot compare it with anything else, I am deeply in love with it.

Shoots admirable groups on the rest, a bit less in steady position, if the shooter am I .
But I am getting better and better.

I'd like to know from some Tryon shooter, which is the position of the right hand on the elaborated trigger guard. Sometimes I try to figure one, every one shoots quite decently.

But I am not very sure of what should theorically be done.

Tb

Because of the design of the trigger guard, you are almost forced to put your ring and little finger at the back smaller end of the guard. Your middle finger goes down around the "hook". And your index finger goes on the trigger- the front one to shoot the gun. Your thumb should be down along the top side of your index finger, laying along the side of the action, and Not wrapped over the wrist of the stock, or the tang/barrel.

You should get better accuracy shooting this gun if you position the hand so you pulling the trigger BACK, and not up. You don't want your index finger rubbing against the bottom of the stock, above the trigger.

If you can, with your hand,( hand size controls a bit on this kind of position) put the lower edge of your index finger against the inside bottom of the trigger guard, and bring the pad of your fingertip to the lowest part of the trigger. If there is any slack, take that up. To fire the trigger without knowing when it goes off, simply roll or "rotate" the finger towards you, bracing it against the trigger guard, to keep from " jerking " the trigger. With a Set Trigger, this technique should work well for you.

Now, all this is for target shooting. Off-hand shooting at game is a different matter.

IF- a big IF-- you are in position where you see the game before it sees you, and you have not disturbed it, AND, you can use a tree limb, or artificial rest( a walking stick works) to support your rifle, THEN you can probably use this same technique to shoot the rifle in the field. However, if the game is moving or you are in the open, forget the set trigger and shoot the gun. Just make a conscious decision to limit such shots to about 1/2 the range you feel comfortable taking a shot from a rest, using the set trigger. Only daily, off-hand practice( dry fire practice is good for this, too) with your rifle to get used to holding and aiming it while moving to an aiming point( target) will make you a better shot with this gun so that you can take longer off-hand shots and be sure of a good hit, and a clean kill.

Most of us, honestly, just don't have the time in our daily lives to do this level of practicing. " To thine own self be true." Wm. Shakespeare

I dont have a tryon . I have a Pedersoli hawken. And all I can say is WOW! That gun shoots. So far every time I take it out it impresses me. I'm very pleased with it.

I used to have A Tryon .50 and like a fool let it go. Shot 3 shots into a cloverleaf shaped hole at 50 yards on a regular basis, with both .490 and .495 balls, soft and wheel weight. May have to get another one.

I've got a .54 Tryon. Accuracy is great but I get a lot of FTF's after about the 7th or 8th shot. I smoothed up the inside of the breech but still have to be very careful not to let crud get down and plug the hole. There's an annoying "L" shape that the spark has to travel through, and no easy way to clean the flash hole from either inside or out. When it starts getting bad I will just drop some 4F under the nipple and blast it clean.

If the nipple is a 1/4-28 try replacing the percussion cap nipple with a musket cap 1/4-28 nipple. That should clean things out and lite your fire. Track of the Wolfe and Cain's Outdoor have these nipples.
Luck

Back