• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

peep sights fragile?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice sights, BS.
I'm going on 66 years of age. My eyes are definitely not what they once were. I made a vernier tang sight out of O-1 tool steel for my T/C Hawken and another one similar to BS's, but with a threaded thumb wheel at the bottom for elevation adjustment. For hunting the thumb wheel is really not necessary. I found the vernier disc to be to obscure too much of my sight picture. I can take the peep insert out of the latter one in dim light conditions to use it like a ghost sight. A dab of white-out on the front sight blade would also help in dim light.
I'll take a picture of the sights later today and add them to this thread just for ideas for those of you who might want to make your own sights. They aren't all that hard to make if you develope an umcomplicated design, make drawings and take your time.

I've found open sights to be the MOST susceptible to damage or misalignment. Look at used rifles at gun shows and note how many have front sights bent or with beads missing. The military knows what they are doing with those front sight guards.
Open rear sights of the type with an elevation adjustment screw get out of adjustment with handling, even in a case, but fronts are most vulnerable simply because of their location. Old rifles generally had very very low beads, making them less likely to be knocked, but also very hard to see under some conditions.
Those plastic "fire sights" or whatever they are called are the worst! I was shooting with a friend who had one of those on the front of his T/C. He leaned the rifle against the bench while we walked out to check targets and when he picked it up the little plastic rod was on the floor in two pieces. I asked "do you really plan to hunt with a sight that can't even stand shooting on a covered range?"
A well mounted peep rear and a low steel blade front set into its' dovetail with JB Weld is about as rugged as you can get. :grin:

Any gun sight can be damaged from banging them around. IMHO, fire sights just don't belong on a muzzle loader.
Below are some pictures of the vernier, aperture and globe front sights I made for my T/C Hawken.
The pic of the acetone can shows my shooting prowess at 50 yds resting the rifle on my knee, 5 shots.
Sights.jpg

RearVernier.jpg

RearPeep.jpg

Can.jpg

Charles/NM said:
Below are some pictures of the vernier, aperture and globe front sights I made for my T/C Hawken.

Very nice sight Charles, I like your use of a spring plunger under the nut! Click....click....click :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nice sights! How low a 17 can you on t/c with t/c hunting peep?

Back