• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pennsylvania bear hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daniel Boone, here is PGC’s website link showing bear harvest data, public lands etc. You can’t go wrong hunting bear in NEPA. Good luck next year! Bear Harvest
This was going to be my suggestion too, see where most get shot and scout there before the early muzzleloader season starts, best of luck

Interesting data. I will have to head north. My maternal family was from Luzerne County. That and Carbon look promising and I have a little knowledge of that neck of the woods. Should make for some good summer outings with the Boss.

Even though it is hot as (fill in the blank) it's time to get ready for hunting season. Any one ever hunt in or around Hickory Run State Park? I'm looking for bears and would take a deer if it walked by.

A bunny cop drove in to check my traps and saw the coon carcasses and I was fined $250 for littering!!!!!
Nowadays, if given the chance, every game warden will write a ticket rather than listen to a sensible explanation. IMO, it's because there are fewer hunters therefore less $$ coming to the game department. They supplement their funding with tickets for everything they can possibly charge you with.

Even though it is hot as (fill in the blank) it's time to get ready for hunting season. Any one ever hunt in or around Hickory Run State Park? I'm looking for bears and would take a deer if it walked by.
I've never hunted it but know someone that does. They say Game lands 141 just south of the park is better for bear in their opinion and Game lands 119 a little north of the park above 80 is pretty good as well. Now they hunt in rifle season and do drives, not sure about the sit and wait or still hunting aspect but I know overall, the county ranks in the top 25% of harvests per year.

New name in Pa . is Pa. Blame Commission. Marcellis gas drilling has left the Commission flush w/ money. Some say to the detriment of hunter/ Blame Commission relations. Seems now that the Commission doesn't need hunting license money as bad as before Drilling funds , there might be less interest in serving the hunting public. Just sayin'.

Some years back when I read that you could be fined for leaving the skin, bones, and head of a harvested deer in the woods, I called the game commission. My question to them was who do they write the ticket out to when a deer dies of natural causes in the woods? Couldn't get an answer from them. Could somebody explain how deer left overs become house hold garbage? And these are the people who run our gams commission!

I hunt on my farm and don't field dress dear, I take them to the barn and put it in a tub. I do this because I don't want the scavengers, ie coyotes around, we have lambs in very early spring and we have had many taken. In other situations I think it's proper to field dress and leave it.

The biggest pile of fresh black bear poop I have seen was in Hickory Run State Park about five years ago. We covered a large part of the park, saw one scrawny little rub, no deer not even tails, and called it a success because it was new territory and has neat natural features like big rock cliffs and deep swamps. I would not go back there myself, but then I have an abundance of places to hunt right around my home and camp.

Back