• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap search...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westrayer

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I broke down and bought a T/C Hawken in .50 cal to go with my flintlock. What size caps do I need? I understand from this site and others that they can be hard to find. My closest source is an hour away.
We have an early ML only season here in PA where in-lines and cap guns are legal. But a paper cartridge Sharps in not legal. I usually take the flintlock but wanted something for the season as well as a shotgun/ML only area near me for regular deer season.
I am one of those guys that think an in-line is an abomination.

It really depends on what powder you're using but...

If you can find RWS 1075 Plus, those are very good. My understanding is they burn hotter than the standard #11. The only issue I've ever had is that they can be a little on the "small" side and wont seat all the way down on the nipple.

Another option is to buy a 1/4-28 nipple for the larger, 4 wing musket caps. I've never done this, but have been told it works well as they also burn hotter (supposedly).

If you find them that close, take the drive. Be sure to call ahead to insure there’s not a purchase limit or it may not be worth while. #11, I prefer magnum in all variety. If #11 aren’t available, you can get a nipple with your thread for musket caps though Track of the Wolf.

Here in NC any black powder arm is legal provided it's sufficient caliber and does not use fixed ammo, meaning a Sharps, Smith, Gallagher, Starr, etc, anything requiring a cap is completely good to go.

Here in NC any black powder arm is legal provided it's sufficient caliber and does not use fixed ammo, meaning a Sharps, Smith, Gallagher, Starr, etc, anything requiring a cap is completely good to go.
We are unusual in that we are the only state that has a flintlock, long gun, 44+ cal, only season. At one time the use of conical bullets was illegal as well. Now legal, but I still prefer a patched round-ball over conical bullets.

If you find them that close, take the drive. Be sure to call ahead to insure there’s not a purchase limit or it may not be worth while. #11, I prefer magnum in all variety. If #11 aren’t available, you can get a nipple with your thread for musket caps though Track of the Wolf.
or you can get or make a nipple fit number 10's

I broke down and bought a T/C Hawken in .50 cal to go with my flintlock. What size caps do I need? I understand from this site and others that they can be hard to find. My closest source is an hour away.
We have an early ML only season here in PA where in-lines and cap guns are legal. But a paper cartridge Sharps in not legal. I usually take the flintlock but wanted something for the season as well as a shotgun/ML only area near me for regular deer season.
Powder Valley has #11 percussion caps

Being one of those other guys myself never gave it much thought neither did the deer . However where I hunt I'd invite you any day as I hunt 3 states and always find it admirable to hear about hiking folks pushing deer /help with draggin/loading truck (I'd provide lunch /deer killin stories (why you had to drag 230 yds) distance the deer flopped when shot with one of those conical ! Didn't run just expired when hit ,back to my initial statement like in the Jerimiah Johnson movie (you'd be a starving pilgrim) /Ed

Back