• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Caps coming off

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acronn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've read wax was used in the old days. Now there must be a better way to keep the caps on the nipples than just pinching the ends, like chamfering the outside of the nipple to hold the cap on with a bit of a mechanical joint of some sort, so the cap would grab the nipple just a bit, enough to hold it on through the shot. Very much a safety issue too, because when you lose your caps during the firing process, your nipples are out there, all exposed and such, to the dreaded chain fire. Any ideas from others? There's got to be a better way. Matt

People chamfer the nipple ends to help the caps come off after firing, so they shed more easily and don't fall into the hammer slot or behind the cylinder. I don't see that working to both hold them on and then shed them quickly and easily...

There may be a better way, but I don't think that's it.

:wink: What sized caps on what particular gun(s)?? If you're using #11's and they fall off, then pinch the skirt a bit or switch to number #10's. Wax is not really a solution it's another problem about to start with clogging the nipple. PM me if you are still having problems, I've overcome them all. :thumbsup:

Buy a set of replacement nipples for the gun that are designed for #11 caps. And caps vary from one manufacturer to another too, even in the same size.

Hello Pasquenel, Mykeal, I'm using #11 caps, but these were the ones from cci, not like the remington caps. I don't know where to get any 10's but I would like to try them, whaatever it takes to keep the caps on while firing and would be good..
I'm thinking along the lines of the nipple getting machined to hold the cap on a bit tighter, with a thinner o.d. so the cap, when pinched will grab better onto the nipple. There must be some trick to it - one way would seem to newbe to chamfer a bit off the nipple - and I can't seem to find anything written about that aspect of bp shooting with a cap and ball revolver.

Hey Rebel, thanks for your reply, but what is a good combonation of nipple and percussion cap so the grab and hold is there. The removal isn't a problem because I can do that at home or rig up something for the range. Also I have a .375 conical bullet mould from Lee and also a .45 mould conical that I use for the pistols - the .44 and .36 remington copies. I couldn't find a conical for the .31 so I got
a .314 round ball and it's okay but I want to try to work up loads for all of them.

I replaced the stock nipples on my Pietta Remington with stainless steel Uncle Mikes nipples and have no problems now with caps falling off using CCI caps.

where did you get the Uncle Mikes nipples? I went to Midway and they have all sorts but not the Uncle mikes. I have the pietta's that Cabellas sells. I would like to make these guns more fun to shoot, and that is really my only gripe with the guns is that the caps were sticking on the fired ones, and also coming off and hanging up in the cylinder on non-fired ones that wasn't too cool...

I got mine from Ken Womack. He sells on E-bay. You might give him a call and see if he has any more of them. His number is. 530-333-2233
Or you might check this place.[url] http://www.scottsbt.com/hunting/catalog/blkpwdr.htm#UNCLE MIKE'S[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the last set of 6 nipples he could find !Ken is a great guy to talk to. He has all this stuff and he looked for more for me, but couldn't find anymore but this one pack. So I get to try them in one gun anyway! Thank you for getting me on the right path. :wink:

He has a lot of other BP related stuff for sale. He was selling New Lee moulds for $7.50, powder measurers, pan primers, balls, holsters, etc. If there is anything you need he might have it and at half the price of retail.

I use CCI #11 caps on my Navy Arms 1860 Army.I just slighty pinch the caps as I put them on,which makes them stay put.When the cylinder is empty,I use one of my precision screwdrivers to flip the spent cap off of the nipple.

Go to Track of the Wolf[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ppebbz45eurghsagx3bl0aya))/index.aspx[/url]
Click on Gun Parts, then scroll down to Nipples and click on Nipples. You'll find a chart that will give you some idea what nipples to buy.

Track of the Wolf sells Treso Ampco bronze, very hard, very well made, excellent reputation. I recommend those. They all take No. 11 CCI caps very well.

Publish what guns you have and I'll let you know what ones I've found fit mine if we have any in common.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Pietta Remington copies. .31 , .36 and .44 cal. I think it is 1858 New Model. What I have in mind is to get some #10 caps and also to try the new nipples on one of the guns. I have spare cylinders that I load at home and then shoot later, either at the target range or in the field so I am loading all 6 holes. I used to just load 1 and then shoot it, load another, then shoot, so as not to chain fire, but now I have good moulds for the projectiles and get a very nice tight fit that cuts a thin round ring as the ball or bullet goes into the cylinder. This and the wad underneath, and some lube on top of it all makes me confident that I won't chain fire, but the cap side of it all seems like a weak link now and has me wondering about it. I do find that shooting is more fun with these extra cylinders. Since they are the Remington style, they are real easy to change out too!

Just as a last resort, keep in mind that some Italian guns take the dreaded 10 3/4 size caps from RWS. I've never needed them, but friends of mine that aren't tinkerers have and they work great and don't fall off.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Dave

I have the Pietta 1858 New Navy (.36 cal). It takes a M6x0.75x0.538 nipple and No. 11 caps by CCI. I do occasionally have an unfired cap come off. Switching to Treso p/n 11-50-10 or Track of the Wolf p/n PIR-A seems to have solved the problem. They also take No. 11 caps but seem to fit better.

Latest posts

Back