• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion misfire- bear won I lost

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John W Hughes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was bear hunting over bait 2 nights ago and had a big bear come in at sunset and cocked the hammer back and he immediately took off. About 4 minutes later he was back and a few minutes later I had the opportunity for a shot and took it. The percussion cap went off but no boom.The rifle in question is a .54 cal T/C renegade. This was the first misfire in hundreds of rounds fired and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I have 2 questions.

I am about 18 yards from the bait and in a tree stand. I set the hammer at half cock when I get in the tree. What do others do so when the critter walks up you don't scare them off? I have shot and killed deer before but they never heard me and were further away than 18 yards.

As for the misfire, in this case I had shot the rifle a day before and after shooting I cleaned it with cold water as I have always done and then oiled the barrel with ballistol. I then ran a dry patch back down the barrel to remove any excess oil and then loaded the barrel with patch and ball.

In the past, I would clean the rifle oil it and then it would sit a few days or longer before I went hunting or shot it again.

I assumed the misfire was caused by too much oil but if you plan on hunting soon after shooting and then cleaning the rifle what is the best way to insure the rifle works as is supposed to?

Thanks for any help.

You are very probably right about the cleaning causing the harm. Just an opinion, I feel percussion are more prone to this because of the drum. It can trap water and oil. If possibe, clean it and dry as best as you can, then use a compressor,to blow the drum/nipple/barrel clean and dry. JMHO

You should have ran a few caps through it before loading it to ensure the entire nipple/drum/ and barrel was cleaned out and clear of obstructions. This would have blown out any moisture or oil you may have had in there.

Good advise from 2 Tall, it's what we call, "Capping off". Many will hold the muzzle near a blade of grass (1/2") while capping off and look for the grass to move a bit.
I add,
After the load has been done to the barrel and it's all set,
remove the nipple and trickle a little powder right under the nipple in the breech and then replace the nipple.

I like to swab with alcohol and fire a cap first to clear the channel. I also prefer Barricade or Break Free to protect against rust.

Also, if you have the factory nipple, you may want to get a hot shot nipple.

Thanks for the quick responses. I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that I shot one cap as others mentioned. I guess I should fire a few more.

I do have a air compressor and will use that in the future and I will also add a little powder as mentioned.

hum as to the cocking noise, could you add some ambient noise, twigs covering the bait? Bear are sharp but in the end an ear is an ear. If he is braking up twigs, dry corn stocks or such like, your cocking maybe with a bit of wool between your lock & the bear, might go unnoticed.

If you hold the trigger back when cocking the hammer then release the trigger while holding the hammer back it is silent.

I can feel your pain...I sat 9 evenings (7 in the rain)and hot humid weather drove the bears nocternal. I wipe with alcahol,snap 2 caps,reload,pull the nipple and charge the drum.I also have practiced holding the trigger while cocking to eliminate the click. Practice this unloaded it's really pretty easy to get the hang of however each of my guns feel a bit different. Good luck.

Hunterbug said:
If you hold the trigger back when cocking the hammer then release the trigger while holding the hammer back it is silent.

Derr your kidding right? I really forgot that?.....I'm feeling some where between :slap: & :doh:

double or triple cap off first. then dry patch down bore..this removes any moisture at the breech face.
Last Sunday had 2 caps fail to fire..saved a big fox squirrels hide. :surrender:
when hunting check the inside of each cap before pushing onto the nipple.
That's one lesson I will not soon forget!
never had that happen with my flinters... :thumbsup:
Sit in your easy chair and practice with your rifle on the silent cock.

Snapping a cap or two is very good. But, again be careful to make sure the nipple is clean. I have snapped a cap, without any charge in the barrel. It appears that without the back pressure of the load in the barrel, there are times when cap debris, will plug the nipple because there is no pressure to push it out, the back nipple. It doesn't happen allot, but it has happened to me and if it is going to happen, it will happen when you are on target!

Dave K said:
Snapping a cap or two is very good. But, again be careful to make sure the nipple is clean. I have snapped a cap, without any charge in the barrel. It appears that without the back pressure of the load in the barrel, there are times when cap debris, will plug the nipple because there is no pressure to push it out, the back nipple. It doesn't happen allot, but it has happened to me and if it is going to happen, it will happen when you are on target!

Yep...thats why I have a patched jag down there!

B :hatsoff:

Thats why I switched to a flintlock.

Hold the trigger back as you cock the hammer.

Tooth pick in the nipple, add alcohol, pull the tooth
pick and let it flush itself out. Blow through barrel to ensure there is no blocksge

when you pull the trigger with your thumb on the hammer put your opposite thumb over the nipple in case you slip.also after you fire use a vent pick to clean out the nippl to make sure no debris gets in there.

Mate sorry to hear it. Percussions seem to have one flaw and that is it. I do everything the others said but there is really only one sure fire way to get that first shot to fire and that is to pull the nipple off and trickle a pinch of powder in the flash channel and then replace the nipple. This will give you 100% confidence when lining up that trophy. You only need a little bit, you don't want to jam up the works.

Also when you pour your powder charge in give the rifle butt a couple of hard slaps on the side opposite the lock before you seat your ball. That will help the powder - especially fffg find its way into the flash channel.

Laziness and forgetfulness have cost me more than one critter! T/C locks are pretty consistent though!

Back