• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion woodcock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love these ancient birds and have great admiration for them.
So much so I limit my shooting of them. Limiting my self to black powder, in fact all British game bird season I have shot most pheasant with frontloaders, just a couple with nitro, so nearly converted completely!

Would of like two to cook with but missed the second, may try again today.

I missed Tia. This was the first woodcock hunt this season without her.

B.

Woodcock are just plain fun to hunt..
I just like where they live!
Beautiful setting..Bird. :thumbsup:

Woodcock are really neat.. When they flush, they remind me of a quail with Parkinson's disease the was they dart around.
My brittanies used to love them too.

Excellent pics as usual...woodcock {timberdoodle} are the perfect game bird to hunt over a pointing dog....they "hold" so well. Many times the woodcock was 2 feet in front of my English Setters, wouldn't flush so I had to give them the "toe".

To me the taste is a little livery", but once past that, they're delicious. They're eaten quite rare w/ only some salt and pepper.

In the down years of ruffed grouse, these birds are the main game and when a flight comes in overnight, the shooting is fast and furious. The daily limit is 5 birds and usually 3 hunters, so a good sized meal is eaten....good luck on the 2nd....Fred

Another well taken picture. Congratulations on a shot well made, you'll get the next one. I've always liked these birds but haven't been seeing a lot of them the last few years. Only put one up this year and didn't shoot at it, not seeing enough of them and not a huge fan of the meat.

Congratulations Brit, well done! I have always liked woodcock, and their first cousin, snipe. Both are hard to see when they are laying on the ground. Maybe Jess will get the idea and at least hunt dead........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Britsmoothy said:
I love these ancient birds and have great admiration for them.

I concur.

jgnx2x.jpg

Our American woodcock is a smaller bird, but just as sporting. The brace of snipe also seen in the photo, helped fill up the pan.

Nicely done :hatsoff: and thanks for sharing the hunt.

I encounter woodcock but rarely and, when I do, I enjoy the sight. I've shot a couple, but they live on earthworms, and that's about what they taste like, so I just enjoy the thrill of seeing them.

I agree with Skychief, Tia was there. I always enjoy your posts. :thumbsup:

Seeing the main diet of woodcock is earthworms, some autumns don't have a lot of rain and the worms go deeper and out of reach of the woodcock's long, prehensile bill.

But...the woodcock have a tactic borne out of survival that supplies them w/ their staple and they do this in unison or singly.

They find their favorite copse and start beating their wings on the ground which fools the earthworms into thinking that it's raining and they "come up" and now are w/in range of the woodcock's bill and a feast follows.

I've read where veteran, British woodcock hunters relish what's become known as "trail". At the end of the day and before the main course of woodcock, they have this appetizer called "trail" along w/ their many drinks of choice.

"Trail" is the woodcock innards which contain the earthworms and this is fried and properly seasoned. A real gourmet treat....so they say.

Have you tasted "trail"?......Fred

When I was in my twenties, I read how the British hang birds until they are "High". I tried it with a mallard but threw it away without tasting it because it made the kitchen smell like 6-day old roadkill. Only an Auschwitz prisoner would have eaten that smelly mess. :barf:

Britsmoothy said:
Thanks gents.

Great photo Forrest. Fancy gun I see?!

B.

Thank you. 17 bore made by William Nunn of Hertford. Since that photo was taken I have replaced the temporary ramrod with a proper one made of ebony, re-soldered the under rib, and browned and etched the barrel. Have found it to be an excellent gun for snipe and woodcock, which the maker must have intended to be. It has a flying snipe scene engraved on the lock! Weights just 4 1/2 lbs and is a pleasure to carry all day long.

Forrest said:
Britsmoothy said:
Thanks gents.

Great photo Forrest. Fancy gun I see?!

B.

Thank you. 17 bore made by William Nunn of Hertford. Since that photo was taken I have replaced the temporary ramrod with a proper one made of ebony, re-soldered the under rib, and browned and etched the barrel. Have found it to be an excellent gun for snipe and woodcock, which the maker must have intended to be. It has a flying snipe scene engraved on the lock! Weights just 4 1/2 lbs and is a pleasure to carry all day long.

Impressed :hatsoff:

B.

Back