• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion woodcock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"17 bore made by William Nunn of Hertford."

Do you have to punch your own OS and OP cards/wads to fit the 17 bore or are there commercially-available ones?

Patocazador said:
"17 bore made by William Nunn of Hertford."

Do you have to punch your own OS and OP cards/wads to fit the 17 bore or are there commercially-available ones?

Luckily the wads made by Circle Fly fit very nicely. I use their over powder and over shot cards. I do punch out my own 1/4" felt wads which I lube, and use them on top of the over powder cards. I've found the thinner felt wads tend to lead to better (more even) patterns than the thicker fiber wads that are commonly available.

Britsmoothy said:
17 bore! Do you mean gauge?

Are you English by any chance? :wink:

B.

Yes, I do mean gauge. I've become so accustomed to dealing with gun collectors, auction houses, dealers..etc. on your side of the pond that I inadvertently pick up and use the terminology.

It can become quite confusing when I forget who I am talking to and start referring to the pins of a gun lock, and the importance of a properly fitting turn screw to fit them.

Wisconsin ruffed grouse top
woodcock bottom

awesome birds

IMG_0266_zps4b56c7d3.jpg

Woodcock seem to be consistent throughout the country as far as their antics when hunted probably because they're migratory. However, grouse in the western mountains and in Canada are all stupid and easy to hunt.

These were killed in a 3-hour period without a dog by 2 guys in Manitoba. The spruce grouse are known as fool hens but the ruffed grouse acted just as stupid.

...nothing stupid about grouse in Wisconsin..
found them dumb as a box of rocks out west and sw Ontario....Just saying....Less pressure....

Forrest said:
Britsmoothy said:
17 bore! Do you mean gauge?

Are you English by any chance? :wink:

B.

Yes, I do mean gauge. I've become so accustomed to dealing with gun collectors, auction houses, dealers..etc. on your side of the pond that I inadvertently pick up and use the terminology.

It can become quite confusing when I forget who I am talking to and start referring to the pins of a gun lock, and the importance of a properly fitting turn screw to fit them.
:hatsoff: I have a debate about bore and gauge regular over here!
Great photo 22fowl.

B.

Patocazador said:
Woodcock seem to be consistent throughout the country as far as their antics when hunted probably because they're migratory. However, grouse in the western mountains and in Canada are all stupid and easy to hunt.

These were killed in a 3-hour period without a dog by 2 guys in Manitoba. The spruce grouse are known as fool hens but the ruffed grouse acted just as stupid.

Good to eat?

The ruffed grouse have white meat and the spruce grouse have dark meat .. all delicious.

I have hunted grouse in Wisc. and Minn.. They are much tougher the the dumb ones. They always flush behind a tree.

If woodcock tasted like their diet and this was a hard and fast rule. I wouldn't eat pork....Fred

Deputy Dog said:
A beautiful bird and an equally beautiful fowling piece. How do you prepare woodcock for the table? I hope they don't taste like their primary diet, LOL.........robin :hmm:

DD, it was added to the pie in the other thread. No they don't taste of worms, worms taste much different lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bacon wrapped woodcock breast whole
sliced pepper added
Grilled hot fast....Fine dining :thumbsup:

1cfe1947-aedb-412d-9f10-52e4bf304ed1_zpsc3bff3bd.jpg

Back