• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perdersoli ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410-er

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Was looking at a Perdersoli flint.Does anyone have one and how do you like it?What pros and cons on them.

I have a couple.

Cons: Not PC.

Pros: Sparks every time (with a good flint, of course), super fast ignition.

Also very accurate.

Owen two,a blue ridge in 36cal. and a Kentucky in 50cal. The blue ridge uses 7/8" flint and the Kentucky uses a 5/8" flint. Both are tack drivers!! :thumbsup: FJ

I own a Pedersoli flint pistol and have a lot of experience with their Charlevilles and Besses. They seem pretty good to me aside from a couple of odd choices in markings and the breach being a bit thicker.

CS

I have a 45 cal. Blue Ridge and love it!
Pros: good sparking lock, light weight and good balance
Cons: Not PC and getting expensive these days

I recommend it if you don't want a PC rifle. :thumbsup:

I saw a coupla Pedersoli guns at a new Cabelas yesterday. The stock on the Bess looked terrible. The raised mouldings looked like they were cut by someone who had never seen a ML gun, much less made one. The same problems with mouldings was evident on the rifle too. The wood to metal fit on the rifle was terrible. The area around the breech looked like it had been inlet by someone with coke bottle glasses. There was a significant gap beteen the wood and metal at the breech. They were absolutely terrible. Especially for the price.

If the locks on these guns were as sloppily fitted as wood and metal, there is no telling if they would work at all.

IMHO, MUCH BETTER quality guns are available from American makers for a little more, about the same, or even less, money.

Check out Early Rustic, TVA, or another American suppliers.[url] http://www.earlyrusticarms.com/pricesanddescriptions.htm[/url]

This page has several makers. Scroll down to gunmakers.
[url] http://www.wizzywigweb.com/longshot/main.htm[/url]

Here is another page of links to makers.
[url] http://www.coon-n-crockett.org/linklist.htm#MUZZLE LOADING & BLACK POWDER FIREARMS AND PARTS[/url]

Agan, I would suggest buying from an american maker. You might, or might not, pay a little more, but you will get a MUCH higher quality gun and service..if it is needed.
J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
J.D. said:
The stock on the Bess looked terrible... The wood to metal fit on the rifle was terrible. The area around the breech looked like it had been inlet by someone with coke bottle glasses. There was a significant gap beteen the wood and metal at the breech. They were absolutely terrible.

My experience is the opposite. I used to have a Ped. Bess, the stock looked very nice. The wood to metal fit on my rifle and pistol is darn near perfect all over.

The pedersoli guns I own seem to be pretty good but when I go to buy another flinter I will probably spend a few extra dollars and get one that was made over here by a person who makes them instead buying one from a company who mass produces them.

Just not sure if I want to get a production 32 flinter or go custom for squirrels.I have a TC 32 Cherokee and it does great but would like a flinter also.Have to see what I find a Dixons this weekend!

I have a Brown Bess and a Blue Ridge rifle in .45 caliber, both made by Pedersoli, and I am pleased and hunt/shoot successfully with both.

As stated by others, the Blue Ridge rifle is a super-reliable tack shooter and the Bess holds a good, if not great pattern at limited distances with either shot or ball. I have not had any problems with either after "several" rounds being put down-range.

I bought the Bess as a kit from DGW, so the feel and fitting between the metal and wood is where I want it to be. I also filed off the Grice 1762 and Pedersoli maker stamps on the lock-plate and barrel.

With the Blue Ridge rifle, I completely removed the finish that was already on the rifle and re-stained the stock in a dark walnut, removed the case-hardening from the lock-plate, drilled a grease hole, and fashioned a new hickory ramrod to fit. It does not even resemble the same rifle that came out of the box when I first ordered it.

As for replacement parts, DGW or Flintlocks Etc. (?) carries most or all of what would need to be replaced.

For those that have them, what more could you desire from a commercially produced piece?

Cordially,

Gouge
Western North Carolina

I have a Blue Ridge and think it is a very good rifle: accurate, and reliable. There are issues though with PC - if you are into that sort of thing. Also - you may get feed-back saying that Pedersoli is not the best in terms of parts and service. But I have no first hand experience along this line.

Bought my .36 rifle years ago when the prices was fair,haven't been too happy with parts availability. Same problem now with spare parts, wait, wait..
For the same money now, I can get a .36 in the white with a manton lock(from a well known maker). I would go with a maker or build my own looking back. In the long run, I think you would come out ahead as the rifle is an investment. Good Luck PeashooterJoe.

Out of all the pedersoli guns I have had I think the Blue Ridge was the best one. But I would agree with peashooterjoe a kit from someone else for about the same amount of money would probably give you a better gun.

Deaconjo said:
...you may get feed-back saying that Pedersoli is not the best in terms of parts and service. But I have no first hand experience along this line.

Same here. I bought my rifle in '99 and it's never had problems or needed repairs.

Jumpshot said:
My experience is the opposite. I used to have a Ped. Bess, the stock looked very nice. The wood to metal fit on my rifle and pistol is darn near perfect all over.

I have a 25 year old bess and a 15 year old 32 cal frontier rilfe, and the new ones I saw don't compare to the ones I have. IMHO, the older ones are much higher quality.

AS to replacement parts, ya better sell your eldest child to afford them...if you can get 'em.

One of the big issues with the bess lock is finding replacement mainsprings. It seems that Pedersoli has redesigned that lock several times so replacement parts may or may not fit. Ususally not.

In comparing pedersoli flint locks to American made locks, there is no comparison, even to the L&R. I'm not an big fan of L&R locks, but they are far and away better than anything I have seen on a Pedersoli. Look at the prices on locks and parts here;[url] https://www.vtigunparts.com/ab2240000Equick/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=13&cat=Pedersoli[/url]
Scroll down to find your gun and click on the name.

They list replacement parts for Pedersolis, but the question is, do they really have them, or can they get 'em? And how long will it take to get 'em?

Check Tracks site to compare prices for locks and replacement parts.[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(kmf5y3asuqzbgw55fs4kirqm))/categories/catList.aspx?catID=14[/url]
scroll down and click on the link to the lock.

I have tuned and rebuilt several locks from different manufacturers, including pedersoli's and some REAL cheap Spanish locks, just for the learing experince.

I have tuned some of the best, and rebuilt some of the worst locks ever made, and from my experience, and the experience of others, Pedersoli locks are approaching some of the worst. Yeah, they work, but not as well or as reliably as L&R or especially Chambers locks. IF you want to use what is probably the best lock on the market, get a Ditchburn lock. Stan uses forged springs in his locks...and the price and quality reflects it.

I gotta ask, How many flint guns have you folks who rave about the "high quality" of Pedersoli locks shot, other than productions guns?

How many locks have you tuned or worked on? How many locks have you rebuilt?

I speak from 40 years of experience of shooting all kinds of muzzleloaders. I know what makes a good lock, and I know when I see a junk lock. IMHO, Pedersoli locks are a lot closer to junk locks than great ones.

Its your $1000,or so, depending on which gun you buy. Do you want to spend the $1000 on a quality piece, or IMHO, what my experience tells me is overpriced junk?

Its your choice.
J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what you were looking at, but I have had two Mortimers and three Blue Ridge rifles, and while not PC, they were accurate, fun to shoot rifles. I found the Mortimers to be pretty heavy, but I had 6" taken off of the .54 caliber barrel, and it helped a bunch. The frizzen has a slight amount of play on my Mortimer, but it goes off without a hitch every time and it's as accurate as I am. I've heard parts can be a problem, but I've never needed any, so I can't say.

The prices seem to have gone up considerably since I bought mine, and if they are really $1000, I'd say look around a little. Used ones can be had for half that, or a little more, and are a good option to explore.

JMHO

I have not owned one but have seen several and shot one and owned an American made gun very similar and the onley things I really dislike was the barrel attatchment and the huge molding on the side of the forestock it seems like a couple of extra ramrod channels , feels akward and looks bad to me, one must really know what a top notch lock works like to comment about whether the locks are good or bad, I have heard both ways on these but have no first nad experience the one I shot was a caplock.

J.D. said:
I gotta ask, How many flint guns have you folks who rave about the "high quality" of Pedersoli locks shot, other than productions guns?

How many locks have you tuned or worked on? How many locks have you rebuilt?

I speak from 40 years of experience of shooting all kinds of muzzleloaders. I know what makes a good lock, and I know when I see a junk lock. IMHO, Pedersoli locks are a lot closer to junk locks than great ones.

Its your $1000,or so, depending on which gun you buy. Do you want to spend the $1000 on a quality piece, or IMHO, what my experience tells me is overpriced junk?

Its your choice.
J.D.

Wow, why so many testy people on this forum? After re-reading this thread a couple of times to make sure I didn't miss anything, I don't see anyone here who is questioning your experience or your judgement of quality. I'm simply posting my own experience with Pedersoli products.

I never said they were better than Chambers locks (or any other lock, for that matter). We all realize there are better quality locks out there, and many worse. Maybe the ones in your experience have just been lemons, maybe their quality has had ups and downs over the years and mine happened to be made during the good years. I don't know and don't care. No one is claiming they're the best guns available. Lots of people seem to simply like them for what they are while admitting there is better available, so where's the problem?

The man asked for our opinions based on our experiences, and that's what everyone is posting. The only one that seems to be raving about anything is you.

Just because a bunch of people like a product that you dislike doesn't mean we're all questioning your judgement (unless someone has actually said that to you, which no one has done as far as I can see). Like everyone else here, I've posted nothing more than my own experience with these products, and I see no point in arguing who's experience is more or less valid, so I'll say no more about it. Have a nice day.

Back