• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Performing a "Cimmaron Man with No Name" sight addition to colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferretdog

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Cimmaron man with no name, with the rear sight dovetail above the wedge?

I have an 1860 army and a '62 police I want to add rear sights to, and wanted to model off the cimmaron, but I've never seen one in person.

What is the dovetail size they used? 'Reckong I could do the same to a '44 1860 Army?

Edit: the forum won't let me link images so you'll have to copy and paste this link to get it to work. It's just a picture.

the firing line .com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107341&d=1524002034

I don't know of any place that makes a rear sight for a Colt open top revolver but there are a number of pictures of the gun from the movie available with a Google search.

The rear sight on the pistol looks rather small.

In one of the books I have that shows many different Colt pistols, only one had the rear sight mounted on the barrel.

It looks to be just slightly taller from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight than the wedge thickness which holds the barrel in place. The dovetail is barely visible but it looks like it is very shallow.

There is only one picture of this pistol so I don't have any idea how wide the sight is.

I have a Centaure - licensed Belgian re-issue of the venerable Colt 1860 Army - custom Long Cylinder conversion with the rear sight dove-tailed on the barrel lug.
The conversion artist who did the project replicated the real thing.
Like on the Uberti Man with no Name pistol.
Unfortunately I am too stupid to post pics here.
If you PM your email address I'll gladly mail a few pics of the arrangement.
Long Johns Wolf

I did it. Thought you might like to see how it turned out. Yes, they're pretty high, but I'll file them down once I get to the range and get an idea of where they need to be filed down to to sight them in.
I can take the top of the rear sight off to lower the poi, or file the top of the front sight off to raise it, and both are windage adjustable with a mallet.
Sight picture looks pretty good for me (targets at 25 metres)

kFLX2E3.jpg

u6NR66U.jpg

IPZfaeb.jpg

mruC3cI.jpg

pmGhoVk.png

Well I LOVE the site picture, one of my favorites.....But....to me, it looks kinda funny, too high? :idunno:

If it works though I would sure do mine. Excellent job! Post the targets when ya get to the range :thumbsup:

Sight picture is a LOT better than a regular Colt. :wink:

Yes it's high, but sighting it in involves filing down the sights - so you gotta start high to have something to work with.

Once I get it to the range I'll know how much needs to come off - if they're both pretty good already I can take the same off both then fine tune from there, and in that I can take them down as far as I want.

For 3 second duelling I do want a pretty big sight picture, so I won't be taking them right down the barrel like the old sight was. I don't shoot this gun from the holster so big sights aren't an issue for that.

total cost = about $10 in sight blanks + about half an hour with some hand files.

Stout sights ! Not for the faint hearted :rotf: It looks like you did an excellent job. It should be fun getting it to hit where you want. :thumbsup:

Because the new sights are so much higher, there is no need.
If you look at a Ruger Old Army, the sights are actually about the same as my new ones - about half inch above the barrel. Maybe even higher.
The old colt sightline was very low, perhaps 1/8" at most.
I was shooting over a foot high at 25m (about 26yards) so I filed the rear sight down, taking off a few hundredths to start with then tuning it. She is shooting point of aim now, with about 0.07" removed and a few taps with the mallet. Sights still look he same, quite high, but like i said actually not high compared to a ROA.

Back