• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period peep sights?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinker

Pilgrim
Reaction score
It is official, I'm old. Just can't seem to keep the sights and target clear enough in focus for any shots beyond fowler distance. Ive been looking for a period type of tang sight, but all I see are Lyman 57's and TC sights. Is anyone making period tang sights, or is this a do-it-yourself deal? If that is the case, can anyone recommend books or other sources? No, I do not want to move the present rear sight forward.

Hey Clinker,
I've come with an idea for us "MORE EXPERIENCED" shooters.
The front sight and the rear sight attached, only needing one dovetail.
Do you think it will catch on?
Old Ford

I have equipped several rifles with a simple, inexpensive peep made from a 10/32 thumb screw. Here is what it looks like on a T/C rifle.[url] http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e245/coyotejoe/t-c28-6.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Clinker; know the problem you are having well. If you are not familiar with the 'pin hole effect' you might want to check out Link

It is an adjustable iris affair that will allow focus on the [critical] front sight and probably allow you to get a satisfactory target acquisition.

Coyote Joe: GREAT IDEA! What do you do, turn it perpendicular to the bore when you are 'open for business'?

While it is true that larger holes are more difficult for your eye to center, those close to the eye can be up to .125" (1/8") are likely capable of more accuracy as your gun. :wink: I'd advise you to resist the urge to put a peep out on the barrel. It didn't work for the Marines or the Japanese China Occupational Force. You need a lot of light, don't ask me how I know this. :redface:

Quite right Slamfire, a peep must be close to the eye to work well. When looking through a peep one should see the front sight and a large surrounding area, all in sharp focus. Those peep holes in an open sight have exactly the contrary effect, they block most of the view and most of the light.
One member of this forum will insist that peep sights are useless in dim light but if he had just tried a larger aperture he would have solved that problem. I drill my hunting peeps to 1/8" and can still draw a good bead after the light is so dim that open sights are useless. With a white bead up front and a large aperture peep rear, if I can clearly see the critter I can see my sights just fine.

IMO, a larger hole in a peep sight will reduce the accuracy a bit, but the human eye is amazing.
It will automatically find the center of the hole without the person even thinking about it.
It will find the center a little more accurately with the smaller holes but the difference isn't very noticeable unless your shooting targets.

zonie :)

The one from MBS has to size holes or you can just leave it out for a good size "ghost ring "for quick shots....and it looks engraved deep in a old looking way. Fred :hatsoff:

Thanks for the input guys! I like the thumbscrew sight idea CJ, I'll give it a try.

Back