• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

persistence pays out blessings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimikinz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I would share:

Man, what a tough year. I hunted the heck out of the regular fall rifle season (with the ML of course)this year. Even though it was really hot and really crowded, and I ate tag soup, I actually had a great season. I think I put in 12 days of hunting, which ya just can't beat.

This last week however, was the opener of the late ML season here in San Diego. I really love this season - its colder, and there are only 80 ML tags for my unit - instead of 3000 (yes thousand) for my unit for regular rifle! So its a BIT less crowded.

Anyway, I put in a few days last week, and then this morning I just had a feeling that the weather change was my ticket, and I headed out at 0400 so I could be on time to my second shift job at 1500 -- knowing I'd be tired, but not caring.

Well, what a morning. A doe in front of me before shooting light, a spike (not legal) at 10 yards at 0630, then a pair of does come over the hill and one walks by at 7 steps :hatsoff: and I let one fly! I hope I never lose this rush - the set-up, the shot, blood trail, that first glimpse on the ground, dressing, cutting, packaging, I love all of it. I'm still on cloud nine, even though I'm beat and at work!

We truly are a blessed lot her in the ML world!!!

2012deer_zpscff8b0bd.jpg

Well done! Looks like some good eating there, But you left out some vital information. WHAT was the load dude! Caliber and the other stuff. The rifle and the powder horn look very nice! Did you make them yourself? Never did trust those new fangled caplocks.

What a great hunt.
I find that sometimes it just pays to be stubborn.
When others give up, just keep hitting the woods.

PJC

Thansk everyone!

Armakiller, the load was a .490 ball / .018 ticking patch over 70 grains of 3F. Thanks for the compliments, I made everything but the shot bag, which I purchased from a gentleman here.

Latest posts

Back