• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peter Gonter - rifle maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Monrin', All - I long had a yen for a genuine old rifle from the Colonies, and to my surprise now have a possibility of acquiring a genuinely old long rifle, allegedly made by one Peter Gonter [sp?]. It is not clear how this rifle turned up here in UK as it is part of an post-mortem estate sale with no relations to haggle over it. I have not yet actually seen it, but will have to await the return of the seller from his long Easter vacation.

So far my search has turned up zilch about him, so I'm asking if anyone can point me in an informative direction.

Many TIA

tac

Joe Kindig's book "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age" has a 2 page bio (p.121) of Peter (1751-1818). He has connections to both Reading and Lancaster counties. He married the daughter of Wolfgang Haga, an earlier Reading gunsmith. When he died among the items willed to his wife were rifles complete and incomplete. Kindig feels he worked making guns right up until his death.

Regards,
Pletch

Dear Mr Pletch - many thanks for that information , a 100% improvement on what I have so far!

I'm hoping to go look at it on monday, but rather dreading what I'm going to find...

Still, the anticipation is half the fun, I guess, eh?

Best

tac

He had contracts from the Government to make guns too, And I also remember he was one of the guys that made contract rifles in the 1790's also. He was a big timer and made a lot of guns and probably had a pretty big shop with lots of employees.

tac- This is what I was able to find on Gonter...

John Gonter -Gun maker of Lancaster and Reading,pa. 1819-24. "John Gonter,recently from Lancaster, Informs the residents of Berks and the bordering counties hat he has begun the gunsmith business in his work shop on the west side of Penn-Street ,the second door above he sign of the Black Horse,in the city of Reading.. He makes every kind of weapon,repairs old ones and especially rifles.The work will be good and the price cheap" ---Reading Adler,january 20,1824. Possibly related to other gonthers...

Peter Gonter--Lancaster,Pa, born in 1751,died in 1818,possibly the father of Peter ,Jr..

Gonter Peter Jr. --Lancaster,Pa.1788-1818.With Jacob Dickert and John Groff as partners,contracted for rifle guns and received paymentof $3,204 on account,in the fall of 1792. In association with Jacob Dickert and Henry De Huff contracted with Tench Coxe,Purveyor of public supplies,for 600 rifles $10 each. Possibly the son of Peter Gonter..Per= Garner "Small Arms Makers"

Twice.

Ah, thanks all, for the very useful information about Peter Gonter.

Sadly, when I arrived back home an hour or so ago from carrying out repairs on our train locomotive, there was an e-mail waiting for me.

The seller, on vacation in Italy, has sold the weapon [sight unseen] to a collector he met up with in Genoa for an undisclosed amount of money. He DID write that it was into five figures.

My deal is off.

Sadly, I have to say admit that a five-figure sum is one figure more than I would have had to spend, no matter how nice it may have been.

Thanks again for coming through, guys, I really do appreciate it.

tac :(

Back