• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Petroleum and black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenskenH

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i've heard from all over the place on youtube and read on different sites that you should not use any petroleum products together with black powder, but none seems to say why so im just woundering what's bad with it.
I usualy use gearbox grease (petroleum based) ontop of my roundballs in my revolver and i don't see the problem that everyone talks about.

Well the revolver is a little different because the Ball/charge/grease(grease on top) leaves the combustion chamber before it enters the barrel at velocity.

In a rifle or smooth bore, petroleum products are generally used as a part of the patch lube or as a bore preservative (rust prevention).
In this case the petroleum oils are subject to the heat of the burning powder, pressure and the powder residue.
It's primarily the powder residue when it come in contact/mixes with petroleum products that creates an almost tar like substance (asphalt). That hard tar like stuff can quickly foul/plug rifling and flash channels hindering accuracy and reliable ignition.

So the problem with petroleum oils is about the powder residue, heat and pressure making another nasty fouling substance that is not water soluble and thus not cleaned out with normal water based cleaning stuffs that we use with Traditional guns.
Hope that helps, :wink:

Nearly 50 years ago, when I was first introduced to BP revolvers, Crisco (vegetable shortening)was a requisite part of loading and firing. It was messy to apply, messy to clean up after, but the wisdom of the day said that it made clean-up easier, since it kept fouling soft.

The disadvantage of petroleum products was their reaction with black powder residue to form even more of a mess than created with the veggie shortening.

Fast forward a few decades, and it was discovered that the chain-fire supposedly due to no lube over a seated ball in a chamber, was more mythical than factual, and that chainfires were more likely to occur via poorly fitted caps.

As for the need to lubricate a roundball -- lead is an excellent lubricating material, especially when balls in a revolver largely are propelled at a subsonic velocity.

Nevertheless, the desire for a little lubrication anyway, has a some of more viable and less messy options:

Grease pills - any number of recipes are available to produce a semi-solid wad inserted between powder and ball.

Felt Wads - Wonder Wads are available in the US that come precut and pre lubed. Many folks are on the eternal quest for sources of felt to make their own, and materials range from old felt hats, to window and insulating materials.

My personal favorite is to simply fold up a tiny dab of ball lube into a square ot toiletpaper and seat it over the powder, compressing it a little before actually seating the ball.

All of these methods serve several purposes:

For a light powder charge, a filler helps compress the powder charge, especially when the ball ram isn't long enough to fully seat a ball deep enough on its' own.

A greased pill, or wad provides a little lube that seems to keep excessive fouling to a minimum.

It is important with any wad formulation to keep the lube solid enough so that it won't squeeze out of the felt or paper and into the powder charge.

Back