• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

petrolium vs natural lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone agrees that you don't want to use a petro-based lube on shooting patches due to a resulting fouling problem.

The question is, if one uses a petro-based product for cleaning/storage/rust prevention, how is the substance removed from the bore, prior to shooting again, so as to avoid the fouling problem. Taqu. suggests that isopropyl alcohol will effectively remove the petro-based substance. Although long term experience with this method is persuasive, I am not totally convinced of that and would like some documentation to support it, and/or any other possible alternatives to get the job done and the bore ready to shoot again after storage...???!!

(This is not an original query, I read it elsewhere posted by a former "anonymous" member here.)

Regards, sse

Hi Sse,

I've no documentation that 99% Isopropyl alcohol removes petroleum and synthetic lubes. But I can attest that it does and it's not a huge operation to do so.

3-4 patchs soaked with alcohol followed by a couple of dry patches. Fish the flash channel with alcohol soaked pipe cleaners and/or q-tips followed by clean.

You could as Roundball mentioned re-clean with steamy hot soapy water prior to getting ready for shooting.

I know several folks that do that regardless of what long term lube they are using. I still do that now and then.

I suppose you could also use a stout bore solvent that would also remove lube and oils.

That is really funny.
:applause:

Well, as far as cleaning twice.

I know a few natural-lubing folks that pack so much natural lube into the barrel for long term storage (for total protection) that removing that is mandatory before loading your charge and projectile.

I wonder just how the extra natural lube is removed prior to shooting? :hmm:

Guess that would not be considered cleaning twice though as we are going to call that "removing lube versus cleaning out the lube" and that would not be popular to this thread.

:shocking: :rolleyes:

i don't get it... :redface:

::
No issue or anything...it just seemed a litle funny how the thread evolved...a question was asked about how to best get oil residues out of a bore that had been put in after a cleaning...and I answered with one well proven way of leaching all the oil out of a bore...then you said but you didn't want to clean it again...just seemed sort of like a 'catch 22' or a 'who's on first' sort of a thing etc., that's all...no sweat
:redthumb:

I know a few natural-lubing folks that pack so much natural lube into the barrel for long term storage (for total protection) that removing that is mandatory before loading your charge and projectile.

Who do you know that uses that much natural lube?

That's a lot more lube than is necessary if they have to go to all the trouble of some sort of mandatory cleaning process before using the rifle...you should mention to them using any lube in excess of what's touching the surface of the bore is wasted.

An example is putting large amounts of ointment on a cut finger...you can stack ointment up an inch high on the cut, but only what's touching the skin is doing any good...the rest is wasted...would be the same for lube
:redthumb:

I agree. :agree:

A couple of guys I know sqeeze NL into the muzzle and then run a patch down to spread it around. They are the same one's that have had a missfire now and then becuase of lube being packed into the breech and flash channel.

I was getting at basically the same concept of smokeless shooting of clearing/cleaning a bore of excess lube prior to loading or shooting.

Same thing applies to ML's in my view. You want to remove any excess lube prior to shooting.

Checking/clearing the flash channel, bolster and nipple before loading and shooting should be a course of normal procedure. It is in my case.

In my case, a few alcohol and dry patches and pipe cleaners and off I go.

I agree. :agree:

A couple of guys I know sqeeze NL into the muzzle and then run a patch down to spread it around. They are the same one's that have had a missfire now and then becuase of lube being packed into the breech and flash channel.

I was getting at basically the same concept of smokeless shooting of clearing/cleaning a bore of excess lube prior to loading or shooting.

Same thing applies to ML's in my view. You want to remove any excess lube prior to shooting.

Checking/clearing the flash channel, bolster and nipple before loading and shooting should be a course of normal procedure. It is in my case.

In my case, a few alcohol and dry patches and pipe cleaners and off I go.

That's one of the nice benefits of shooting flintlocks which also have patent breeches...it almost doesn't matter what's going on up in the main bore...clean, dirty, lubed, unlubed, etc...the patent breech and the vent stay clean...never use a vent pick...I used to dry patch a bore prior to shooting but don't even bother with that any more...now I just pour the charge and seat the ball...the sound of air rushing out of the vent tells me it's clear

[/quote]

That's one of the nice benefits of shooting flintlocks which also have patent breeches...it almost doesn't matter what's going on up in the main bore...clean, dirty, lubed, unlubed, etc...the patent breech and the vent stay clean...never use a vent pick...I used to dry patch a bore prior to shooting but don't even bother with that any more...now I just pour the charge and seat the ball...the sound of air rushing out of the vent tells me it's clear [/quote]

I've got to get my flintlocks (T/C & DP Frontier) out to the range. I've had flintlock capability for a couple of months now and have yet to shoot one.

I've been waiting until I have at least 4-6 hours uninterrupted to begin Flintlock. So far I've only been able to get an hour or two at a time.
Should be soon. I've got finals this week and next and then post-grad work is done until August when I'll resume.

Latest posts

Back