• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ph muketoon lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocuspocus

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not walking on the water with this initiative, but man did I stumble onto a lube that the PH musketoon just frikin loves today
by volume
3 parts pure lanolin
3 parts toilet bowl seal(petroleum wax)
1 part canola oil
Cut my groups in half. No build up. ultra easy clean up. I cant believe how well it works for a homemade stumble bum recipe...Just watch the heat or the lanolin will smoke before the wax is disolved

Behind the counter at your pharmacy they sell it in pure form in tube for nursing mothers with sore nipples..I aint kiddin

I'm curious as to what you used as a lube prior to this discovery. I have 3 P-H's that I'm trying to sort out.

Hi. May I ask what else you are putting down the barrel ie powder/wad/bullet and what distances you are shooting at. thanks JM

I was using bore butter. I tried traditions inc version. No go. Too much scrubbing, not enough accuracy. My load is lymans 577611 commin out 525 grains. 82 grains of ffg. The minie gets the outside smattered with my new lube plus the base full,cci musket cap on and by gum you wouldnt want to hang yer favorite rolex on a tree 70 paces away,it'd be groosum. I think I mentioned this before but I will again. This stuff is weird, it takes on a semi solid dull kinda look until you disturb/move it even so much as a micron, by finger or by stick, dont matter, then as if frikin magic it goes semi liquid immediately...I have no idea why. Man I cant say enough about cleaning. The hot water thing just flushes it like it werent even there. Whereas with the parafin of the other kinds it took forever

PS
Hey Duck where a bouts you at in the tario? I'm hangin up here in Renfrew

PSS Mike my little back yard range is 65 yds. I can get over a hundred but typically I just shoot at the 65, its where my stuff stays set up

Thanks for the update. I have heard of lanolin being used for the PH a while ago and got hold of some for when I was bored in the winter. I'll give your mix a go and let you know.

The thing is your not going to save money over something like bore butter. Heck this might even be a buck more for the same amount. But to this boy a buck aint much more to pay for something thats heads better...Make sure the seal you buy says PETROLEUM wax. The whole idea here is to get away from parafin.. And above all,,,,,,Have fun :wink:

Oh ya, the other nice thing is the variable of the canola. That mix is working well here now from 30-45 degrees F. I would think when colder he just adds more canola, when warmer he uses less. Thats my guess anyhoo. I'm going to try taking it through all the seasons the way it is before I monkey with it

I'm in Bruce County snuggled up to Lake Huron. Used to live in Combermere in Renfrew County.
I've use a concoction of 2 parts bees wax, 1 part neetsfoot oil and 1 part Murphys Oil Soap. Stays pliable in all weahers but is softer in summer.
I have some 577611 ball cast but never had any luck with them. I'll try your recipe this winter and give it a try with your load in the PH 2 and 3 banders as well the Musketoon.

Well Duck you dont got any wind down there for shootin
in anyways huh........LOL...

Them 577611 are the 8itch to cast without voids. Have you put em on a scale to check weight? If theres any outside of a 5 grain diff from the rest I'd suspect a void and I'd chuck em back into the melt. Then once you do get some that are good enough to fly they like a fair fire lit under that heavy skirt.I've found that if you fill the base full of that gunk I've made the hydraulic expansion keeps everything pretty even

Latest posts

Back