• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PHOTOS: 10 Pointer + .58cal Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the details on the shot and your selection of caliber. I agree that shot placement is the key and the ranges are a big factor, no doubt. My brother has a 45cal. and he does good with his on same type of cover and range. I am happy to report that minutes after I posted my questions to you that I connected on a very fat doe with my T/C Fifty Caliber. I have to admit that I have not shot a deer with blackpowder and this gun since 1996. I only had a second to make up my mind and there was limbs...no lane to the target. I don't have a picture but I saved the heart. The lungs were crushed to jelly and the heart was scraped down the side creating a channel about the size of the round. After the shot, I did not go immediately and investigate...shot was about eighty yards and broadside. Deer disappeared. I went for some coffee, OJ, sourdough toast, bacon, eggs, and tried to calm down. When I returned an hour later there was not a sign of an injury. I was surprized and was making up stories and excuses for myself.I did keep looking for the strike of the round, but no luck. I decided that I would investigate further by walking the pasture and looking over the hillsides. The pasture is bottom land. After about 100 yards I spotted the animal. She had expired on her feet and collasped with her belly and white underside completely shielded from view. This deer was still quite red and very big and beautiful. I doubt she weighted 200lbs. but, I thought about you,[Roundball], pulling and tuging on your trophy...I kinda doubt your deer weighted 200 lbs. but, it is possible. I have noticed when they get over a hundred lbs. you can really feel the dead weight. My experience with animals taken in Carolina is that Doe weigh 80-120 and Bucks weigh 100-160. But I do know that every once in awhile you'll get one in the 200 lb. class. Me, I am going for something smaller or just pass altogether ... at least till I heal up after evacuating this one. I hurt all over but I did it all myself. Got it hanging in the shade. It took me 6 hours to retrive the animal and skin and hang. I know in my heart that this is one of my last solo meat hunts and I was insight of the house and had a FM radio attached to my wife. Sounds shameful but those are the facts and I am grateful. From now on I'll carry the smoothbore and wait for horns! I am very happy for the meat and thankful for my friends here on the FORUM.

Slippyfoote said:
I kinda doubt your deer weighted 200 lbs. but, it is possible.

It might not have, I couldn't weigh it of course.
All I was going by was the fact that I've dragged out a lot of deer in my life, and normally I can put my drag strap around a bucks antlers and drag him out leaning & pulling with one arm...couldn't do that with this guy...had to sling my rifle, put both hands on the drag strap, and lean backwards at a 45* angle to move him that way about 25yds at a time...and I have a fair amount of strength with my size...ie: I grab the tops of 50lb bags of bird seed in each hand and carry them out to the truck...if this deer wasn't around 200 pounds, I don't think he missed it by much.
:grin:

Sure enough, that is a nice 10 pointer and that by itself is exceptional. I doubt there have been many deer of that caliber taken with a flintlock in Carolina. No small feet... :haha: Congradulations!

Back