• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Photos of your favorite hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya. I used to hunt Iowa when I could draw every other year and "only" paid $120. Then when they really went off the deep end and went to around $400 I quit and now they've gone up again. I think Wisconsin is around $170. Not good for the sport.

Spikebuck said:
While I generally hunt private land, Minnesota is blessed with HUGE parcels of public lands. The Whitewater wildlife management area here in SE MN is over 40,000 acres of woods, water, and crops. Our licenses for non-residents are CHEAP at around $140 over the counter and the first gun season (you can use your muzzleloader) is 9 days and is right during the rut in early November. If you're willing to hike back into large public tracts and get away from the guys that won't go but a few hundred yards off a road, you can have a good crack at big deer. They aren't behind every tree, for sure, but for the hard-working, persistent hunter, the chances aren't bad.

That's not too much more than I pay for my resident sportsmans license here.

That sounds like a good time. Not too different from how I do here. Assuming I'm able to crowbar enough free time out of the office I like to hump it way back into the WMAs around here. Some of them are huge and it seems like if you want for 30 minutes you're in a place no one has ever been.

I may have to check that out for a trip next year. I've never dealt with snow much.

You usually won't have to deal with snow during the first gun season, though it can happen. Usually it's lows in the upper 20's or low 30's and highs in the 40's or low 50's. We've had years when it's way too warm in the 60's, 70's, or even 80 degrees! That shuts down the daytime deer movement.

Below is a link to the state's maps. In there, you'll find a listing of all the WMA's and many have maps. From there, you can use Google Earth and "fly over" the area via satellite.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/index.html

Tags? We dont need no stinkin tags! 3 antlered deer per season and 1 doe a day limit for 2.5 months :rotf: GO BAMA!

Oh yeah 1 year big game license...$24.00. Dont know what out of state license is :hmm:

I'm in Bama too. When I lived in Georgia it was $120.00 for a three day hunt, went up from $76.00. :( I think it costs around $250.00 for Bama folks to hunt in Mississippi. Don't know about Georgia, But Snowdragon can tell you since he just got back from hunting there.

Spikebuck, don't lament the orange thing too much. In CO we have to wear the orange and it can't be camo orange like yours!

I hunted around Lacrosse WI a few years back and I think I paid about $140 for a non res tag then. Went to hunt ML but they had a 3 day "waiting period" between license purchase date and the date allowed to hunt. Since bow was legal too, I hunted with a bow (no waiting period).

Here's a few of my favorites:

CaplockBuck.jpg

BobcatCropped.jpg

large_Voyageur_flintlock.jpg

Nice! I always said I wanted to hunt caribou and moose before I got too old...I didn't make it.

This is my favorite ML hunt picture because it's my only ML hunt so far. This was last Thursday-5 days ago:
PiperPeak.jpg

Latest posts

Back