• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1851 Navy--Getting ready to shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loading straight from the flask is the only way to go. So much simpler than measuring it out with a standard powder measure. :thumbsup:

There's no doubt loading straight from a flask is the easiest and quickest way. There is a nagging worry that a burning ember left from the last shot will ignite the new charge as you pour it from the flask, which would potentially put a hand grenade in your mit! I've never known it happen but it's the reason you are advised NOT to pour directly from a flask. Why not pour the charge into a small plastic phial or similar first and then transfer it to the chamber. That way, if the worst should happen, it's 20 grains going fizz instead of 1/2 lb going BANG!

Tight Wad :thumbsup:

I'd like to hear from some of you other gents (and ladies) on this topic -- do you load from a flask with a valve as Kettleman suggests, or do you feel that's an excellent way to prematurely end my piano playing career..... (and I do play piano....Mozart & Muzzleloaders are my great loves....)

Isn't the rule--Safety First!!Isn't it safer to load from measure than from a flask that holds more powder?? :shocked2: :hmm: :youcrazy:
May take a little longer but you will still be able to play an arpeggio? :v

You are still only pouring 20+grn of powder in each cylinder using a flask. And only that 20+grn is exposed if in fact you do get a hot enough ember to ignite the charge. Been around BP all my life only saw one rifle fire off the powder after being poured down the barrel. That was at Friendship, In. and they were doing a demonstration on what it took for the old soldiers to load and fire their weapon in fast succesion. Most people shooting a BP revolver are not gonna have a rapid turn-around in reloading their pistol.

When using a flask, you release the valve and turn it right side up. This gives you the correct powder charge and cuts off the flow of powder to the rest of the flask. It is actually as safe as useing a powder measure.

Pesonally, I wont dare to take my flask, fill the powder chamber of it, close the vent, turn it upright and and light the measured charge in the spout with a match. No way! What if the flask lock isnt as sealed as necessary to prevent ambers from getting inside? I wont bet my life on it, so why not go on the safe side?

Just my 2 cents

Back