• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta or Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Have been looking at the Pietta 1851 36cal at Caleba's which is on sale now for $199.00 while the Uberti is listed on other site for around $250 +/-. Is the difference in price worth while, concerning that I don't do a ton of shooting and mostly want the gun just to put in a collection for when the bug hits. Comments welcomed and solicited.

In my opinion, if the question was should I buy a Pietta or a Palmetto there would be no hesitation in my saying, "Go with the Pietta."

With the question dealing with Pietta vs Uberti if you were planning on working your way to the top of the Nationals or if you were planning on the gun maintaining a high resale value I would say go with Uberti.

Because you don't plan on shooting it a lot and you are looking for a well made gun to hang on your wall I will say go with the Pietta.

Knowing how much fun shooting these old style cap and ball pistols is I'm betting you will put more shots thru it than you are planning on shooting but the Pietta should stand up to the increased shooting without a problem.
Just remember, brass trigger guards and gripstraps were part of the original design but brass frames were only used by the Confederate copies of the Colt so get the steel framed gun. :)

Thanks for your thoughts. My wife has always leaned toward the brass frame guns just because of the looks, and I have a 1858 now that looks great. I know that you can't or should not super charge them but as old and weak as I am now I down size loads anyway. Two reasons, 1- less recoil, 2- makes powder last longer.

Personaly manufacturer makes no never mind to me. It's all about the individual pistol and what I am going to use it for. And the fit and finish, and action of the pistol. I do alot of civil war reenacting- so some brass frames will naturally make it to my gun safe. I have Traditions, CVA, Uberti, Pietta- it's all about how they feel and if they talk to me.

One other consideration, Pietta puts their stampings all over the barrel, both sides while Uberti only stamps on the bottom of the barrel out of site under the loading lever. Not important to some but to me aestetics is everthing.

Also I've heard that Pietta's quality has improved over past performance. While all have the occasional lemon, I trust the quality of Uberti more. I look at the long run and would go with the Uberti.

Because it's often said that the Pietta .36's use .375 balls while the Uberti's require .380 balls, I would select the Pietta because .375 factory made balls are easier to obtain.

Yep... I'm with the Uberti crowd. I've owed a number of the over the years and have 5 Uberti's in the gun safe right now. One (a 1866 in 44-40) I've had since 1975 and I've put a lot of rounds though them all.

Cheers,

DT

Again thanks to everyone on the very valid and solid thoughts. With the Pietta I myself don't like all the stamping on barrel but can over look that. I have the Pietta 1858 Buffalo that had the one problem of the nipples being put in by a gorilla or something but that was the only problem. I am very lucky in that if I want to shoot all I do is walk out back of the house and let rip. And maybe with the heat wave over (for a while) I can get out more often. I had a 36cal back years ago and loved it and this one like all my other toys will go to my grandson (10yr) so he should be able to shoot this one a little easier. Again thanks to all for your input.

Over the course of many years, that 50 bucks will not be felt. Get the Uberti

P

After weighing all the pros and cons of both Pietta and Uberti I went with the Pietta from Cabela's. Ordered on Sunday night and bright and early Wed morning had it in my hands. I was leaning more to the Uberti but the final decision was the free shipping. I know that most likely the Uberti will outlast the Pietta I doubt that I will outlast either of them, and I a very pleased with this 51 Navy. Only thing that was slightly a issue was the grips had a very minor misfit but only took a few seconds and it was a smooth fit. I did notice the nipples seemed to have a -for lack of better wording- thicker bluing. The #10 caps require a more effort and pressure to set completely on the nipples. I spoke with a tech at Cabela's and they are going to send a new set of nipples just in case. Thanks to all for you input and information.

Enjoy the '51! I hope you have the same good luck with your Pietta that I've had with mine. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back