• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pig Hunting question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Arroyo

Greybeard
Reaction score
I built a rifle for a friend and he wants to book a wild pig hunt now. In fact he want to take me along! Now I have never hunted for pigs, and have a few questions (and reservations :confused:)

What distance of shots will I be looking at?

Should I shoot the .50 rifle or the .62 smothbore (both flinters)? Or would the .54 percussion rifle be a better choice?

Has anyone here been on a wild pig hunt in the Reading/Red Bluff area in northern California? Experiences...good or bad?

I haven't spent time in the hills around Redding and Red Bluff in over 30 years, so take my geography with a grain of salt. Lots has changed since then.

But as a rule of thumb it's kind of a cross between brushy and open, in the foothills anyway. Lots of pin oaks with some pine (digger?) for mast in some years at lower elevations. But also lots of ag as things start to flatten out. In years of low mast, I'd expect them to be raiding fields every night. Open grassy ridges and brushy draws till you climb up away from the valley into the pine/fir forests. I spent more time in the Yolla Bolla than down around Red Bluff. That's generally above pig country.

I never hunted pigs there, but was around them while wandering and while quail and deer hunting. As a rule of thumb you're going to see them at pretty good distances, but if there's relief to the land you should be able to stalk within reasonable range. Provided you're a stalker! Those guys have GREAT hearing and smell, even if their eyesight is only as good as yours and mine rather than better like a deer.

Given your aresenal I'd probably opt for the 54 rifle for the right mix of power and range. I've never had trouble getting adequate penetration or killing pigs, but man, there are guys out there who can puff you up with horror stories. A good broadside lung shot is going to put them down pretty quick. A shoulder shot is likely to have bone problems. And as for that "gristle armor" turning bullets, I got this to say..... :rotf:

Here is a link for Texas Boars, they can give you all the info you ever wanted on big pigs.
[url] http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=e2e089d860629ac6e8601658dc528b0c[/url]

The anatomy being diferent than deers will cause problems. Every thing is lower on a pig, look at the disection pictures on the web site and it will show this.

Make sure you cary enough gun just in case a 400LB Boar steps out. The .62 smoothie with wheel weight RB's might be the way to go.

Have fun and be safe!

Last edited by a moderator:
What BrownBear said... they have great hearing and an even better sense of smell. Good news is, they can't see worth a damn. It can be challenging to get close to one unless you're in brushy or wooded terain.
For close range, I'd go with the .62...and a back-up weapon,(bayonet?) unless you're with a guide and/or dogs.
If you're after the meat, go for a "meat hog" and avoid the boars.
Don't be tempted to turn everything into sausage either...the ribs and hams can be very tasty!

Gotta' go..I'm drooling all over the keyboard.
Have fun and be safe. :)

A little trick I was taught by some old timmers.

When you kill a boar, cut some meat from the hind quarter and cook it. If it smells like a skunks behind leave it for the buzzards! If it smells good well get to cleaning.

You have to take that .62, how else you going to kill a Big Boar with a Big Bore!

What BrownBear and Mr. Gray said... :thumbsup:

Been 30 + 2 years since I lived in Carmel and hunted pigs in CA too. Up north I hunted mostly on the east slope of the coastal mountains inland from Pt. Arena. In the central valley in several areas around... Livermoore, Los Banos, Holister and Coalinga. The central costal mountains from Monterey to King City was my home stomping grounds for pigs though. Favorite spots there was White Rocks and Hunter Liggett.

As suggested ranges can vary a lot depending on habitat, the lay of the land and if the pigs are moving between areas. In some open areas 2-300 yard shots would be possible with a firearm that can do it. Other times they are in your face close. I'd think any of the BP rigs you mentioned would work for ML ranges, but I'd opt for the rifled 54 of the 3 myself (with either lock, although I'd go with a capper).

I never hunted them with muzzle loaders though, but most often with handguns. Usually any of my 357/41/44 MAG or 45 Colt revolvers, but also with Contender pistols sometimes. A Herter's 401 Power Mag SA was my favorite pig gun though. Backup shots were sometimes needed if a hit wasn't placed well enough with any of them. Would probably be wise to carry a backup, even a 45 or larger BP pistol if you want to stay totally with sidelocks would probably suffice.

Ought to be a fun hunt with traditional muzzle loaders. We want pictures.

WA

I've got a grand total of two pigs to my credit so I ain't an expert by any means. One with a .58 and RB and the other with a .243.. Both were well within RB range, neither went anywhere after being hit thru the lungs, both were "meat pigs" (~150lb dry sows). As has been said, their nose and ears are good, their eyes are bad. Spot 'em from a distance, get the wind in your face and getting up on 'em isn't too bad, sort of like bear hunting, except they tend to travel in groups so your stalk can get spoiled by the pig you didn't see.
They do eat good, at least the little ones.
If getting a big one is in the cards I'd go with the .54.

Any of the rifles you mention will get it done although if you're going to have some longer shots I may leave out the .62. I believe the .54 would also be my choice and the idea of a backup is also highly recommended. You CANNOT outrun these things and a 300lb really upset boar with razor sharp tusks can be contrary if they take a notion. I carry a .44 ball and cap revolver just for piece of mind when I'm hog huntin but this may or may not be allowed in California.

go with the .54 and have a back-up pistol or buddy with a large caliber w/you.
I took 2 with .44 BP revolvers (one was 300lbs+) shooting conicals from a ground blind near bait pile. had a buddy with a 20 ga. caplock loaded with 00 with me. in case fast follow up is needed.

I'd take whatever you like to shoot and can shoot best..all are more than enough for hogs. I've killed more than I can remember with all types of guns and bows. However I must say I shot one this yr in the side of the head with a .58cal. patched ball from bout 15yds. and when the smoke cleared it was laying there like it was dead..then staggered to it's feet and stumbled off into thick palmetoes. But last yr I shot this little sow behind the ear with no. 5 birdshot out of my .62cal and it never moved. But it was only about 2 long steps from me.

Nowdays I only shoot them in the head no matter what type gun I use.

j14.jpg

Mountainman56 said:
Any of the rifles you mention will get it done although if you're going to have some longer shots I may leave out the .62. I believe the .54 would also be my choice and the idea of a backup is also highly recommended. You CANNOT outrun these things and a 300lb really upset boar with razor sharp tusks can be contrary if they take a notion. I carry a .44 ball and cap revolver just for piece of mind when I'm hog huntin but this may or may not be allowed in California.

No laws against carrying a side arm while hunting in CA that I know of.
If you're going with a guide or on a private ranch it's best to check with them first. They might want to provide the back up for you should things go wrong.
It's good to look at pig hunting like you're about to cut down a tree...always have an escape route should thing go differently than you thought.
A buddy of mine once came across a sizable boar standing in the road while driving to work one morning. The thing got so bothered it rammed his passenger door repeatedly, denting it in...it was an old Plymouth Valiant, too :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back