• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pilgrim going to first ML shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again Bud, the First Timers Shoot is for anyone that has never placed in a state shoot before. It will consist of matches

#74 25yds-Off Hand-50yd 6 Bull 8 Ring target
#75 50yds-Off Hand-50yd Bear Target
#76 50yds-Off Hand-100yd 8 Ring Target
#77 First Timers Aggregate Matches 74,75,76

All targets will be shot with any metalic sight and it says any bullet. We usually always shoot roundball at all targets, not sure why they put that any bullet thing in there.

rabbit03

Greetings Dmills,

Understand from Toney (rabbit03) that I missed you by an hour or so. Would like to have met you, but will in June.

You are coming back in June? Right!

Understand, you might invest in a GM IBS barrel from Marvin. Does that mean you might have been infected by the "Dreaded Brady Bug"?

Would you post your thoughts and impressions on your first time at the TMLRA Annual Frost on the Cactus Shoot at Bady, Texas?

I am sure a number of the forum members would like to hear a first hand report from a first timer at one of these events.

Did you notice the young people at the left end of the range? They were wearing orange T-shirts and taking care of business.

In particular, did you see the young lady who has not reached her teens yet? In October, 2005, she put the adult ladies on notice, and yesterday, was driving that point home again. I am not sure, but she might not be as tall as her rifle is long, but you should watch her offhand form, flawless.

Look out ladies, she is coming your way. As you can tell, I am already a big fan of hers.

Great bunch of people there.

Anyway, let us hear from you, even if you have to write your impressions in installment.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

The first shoot for my son and I a few years back, my son was all nervous and kept saying "Dad we suck", I laughed him off and told him not to worry that someone had to finish last. It was quite easy to get with the program...and oh by the way my son won two medals..his first ever. I have yet to meet anyone at the shoots that wouldn't be helpful particularly with a beginner. Have Fun

John, sorry I missed you also. Unfortunately, I was only able to stay until Sat. afternoon. My wife's 95 year old aunt has recently moved into a nursing home and I had to drive my wife, her mom and sister up to Oklahoma to visit. Good thing we did, because we found the aunt in congestive heart failure when we arrived and the nursing home was ignoring her complaints of shortness of breath, etc.

Anyway, the Brady match was great from the perspective of this newcomer. I arrived late on Thursday (after dark) and did not see the sign to the TMLRA sight. So I camped across the road in the RV area.

On Friday morning I registered and started practicing. I signed up only for the newcomer's matches described by Rabbit03 above. I made a point of letting the range officer (and anyone else who would listen) that I was attending my first match. I received a warm welcome and was not made to feel uncomfortable in any way.

Recall that I have only had this rifle for 3 weeks and that all my prior experience was with scoped rifles (centerfire and the unmentionable $%-*&^% MLs). Shooting off-hand and open-sighted is a new experience to me, unless you count the 3-4 years with a non-scoped 22 in the early 1960s.

The wind on Fri. was strong and was switching directions and gusting until late evening. I was shooting .490 RBs with T/C .018 pre-lubed pillow ticking. Not having any Goex, I was using 777, fffg. Using the 50 yard 6 bullseye target at 25 yards, most of my shots were high and to the right. I kept tinkering with the rear sights and was feeling pretty good by afternoon Fri.

Toney (Rabbit03) did not get to the campground until after I had quit shooting for the day and gone to my trailer.

The next morning, Sat. I got to the range to find very light to 0 wind so I stapled up the 6 bullseye target and shot off a practice round into the 9 ring. OK, I thought I would dispense with more practice rounds and go straight to the target. Second shot was into the 9 ring also. Then I sent the next 3 shots high and right for no score. Finally the 5th shot was into the 9 ring again. I took the target up to turn in and I was told I needed to score the target. :hmm: So I turned to a guy who was standing nearby and admitted I did not know how to score a target. He helped me and I turned it in.

It happened that the guy who had helped me score the target was shooting next to me down on the far right of the line. I overheard him telling another shooter that he was building a Hawken rifle in 58 caliber. So I walked over and introduced myself to Toney. As promised, Toney took me under his wing and he spent a lot of time working with me the rest of that day.

I shot my other two targets later in the day and then had to head home.

During the course of the day, I visited with other T/C shooters and appear to have contracted the "Dreaded Brady Bug" in that I am going over to Marvin's place in Iowa Park, Tx. later this week to pick-up a GM IBS in 45 cal. I just sold my last &*-*&^% ML over the week-end to finance the new barrel. :rotf:

I did notice the young 'uns at the range in the orange t-shirts and admired the way they handled themselves.

Overall, a positive experience. My thanks to the staff and shooters at the TMLRA Annual Frost on the Cactus Shoot (where was the frost by the way?) and to Toney for the tips and assistance--somehow I got a ball and patch down my barrel without powder.........

:thumbsup:

Greetings Dmills,

I am quite sorry to hear about your wife's Aunt, and send a prayer for her improved health.

A most excellant post. Am glad you had such a good time and hope you will be back in June. Before that time, send me a PM with your mailing address, and I will send you a copy of last years match schedule, so you can practice for the events you wish to enter.

Did you have time to wander up and down the firing line and observe the other shooters, their equipment, and their shooting.

If so, would you care to comment on this for the other forum members?

It is great to have you participate with us, and hope you will continue to do so. If I can be of any help, do not hesitate to let me know.

Hopefully, Davy will be down in June to get his feet wet for the first time.

Now that you are going to get a new GM IBS barrel,
you can start your practice by shooting in the Forum's March/April 100 yard shoot. For match level accuracy in the GM barrel,try a .451 Speer Swaged Ball. Marvin will also have these and at the best price around. Talk to him about this and his various product lines of lubes and patch material. He will give good advice and will ALWAYS shoot straight with you.

Marvin is a great guy. Without him, we Brady Bunch would be hurting big time.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

Well havin been there to Brady and watched the experts shoot last June .. I am inclined to feel a bit outgunned and inexperienced. :redface:

Them boys is plumb serious! :cursing: I reckon if I do go and shoot ... well ... they do need a good laugh anyway! :rotf:

Davy

Davy, come on down and shoot. As long as you stay down on the far right with me those serious shooters up on the left won't see your shooting anyway until you turn in the targets.

John, I did wander up and down the line as much as I had time for. I wanted to see the rifles as well as the range boxes, benches and equipment. I did not have my camera with me or I would post some pics.

There were some awesome weapons there. Of course there were a good number of T/Cs with the Green Mountain barrels up and down the line so I did not feel too out of place. Almost everyone I talked to had owned a T/C at one time as the first ML and noone had an unkind word about them. There were also the bench rest rifles with the 2+ inch diameter barrels. I really did not expect to see so many of those in one place. There was a nice looking underhammer with a long barrel being wielded by Toney's friend Daryl. Added to those were a good number of muskets and custom "Hawken" style rifles.

I plan to be back in June.

Back