• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pill bottle for speed load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashaffer

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it safe to use old perscription pill bottles for premeasured powder charge? I am concerned about static

mike

Greetings Mashaffer,

why not use what I have used since 72?

111006006.jpg

111006005.jpg

111006004.jpg

I like it cause it is pretty inexpensive, simple, all inclusive except for the cap if your using a caplock. It keeps the powder dry. I just opened one that had been lying around for years, alot of years, and the powder was still good.

rabbit03

i have a bunch of white 35mm film containers that i can see the powder through the side but there not clear and no static :v .............bob

mashaffer said:
Is it safe to use old perscription pill bottles for premeasured powder charge? I am concerned about static
mike
And thay've all been made out of non-static plastic for years and years now anyway...look at the bottom of the bottles and you should see the little triangle shaped symbol designating them as static free plastic...same as 35mm film canisters.

But without a doubt, and as PC as pill bottles, TC's 4-N-1 pocket reloaders are the simplest, fastest, most convenient ones I've ever tried...the built in short starter really makes it...and no changing of hands back and forth with stuff trying to reload.

I hold the muzzle with the left hand and reloader in the right hand.
Pop the powder resevoir lid open with the thumb on my right hand and pour in the powder.
Set the reloader on the muzzle holding it in place with the muzzle hand, and smack the reloader (short starter) to drive the PRB into the barrel...simple as 1,2,3.

1673192Three.58cal4-N-1QuickShots800.JPG

Now that is slick :thumbsup:

I sure like your idea, looks much nicer than the pill bottle I have used.

Clutch

I use 45-70, 45-110 or 20guage brass with cork stoppers.
I grind down the rim and leave a spent primer in the primer pocket, a real nice ol timey look.
:hatsoff:
ohya and I use a loading block.
I have timed myself with this method compaired to speedloaders and the time difference is negligable and I look way cooler sneeking around the woods
:rotf:

If you know someone who enjoys stogies, the tubes that Garcia Y Vega Coronas come in will make great little powder containers when cut down to about two and a half inches long. They come with a cap that fits tightly too. Just don't tell my wife how I know.... :haha:

Hi Bramble,

The patch in the photo was just a patch to seperate the ball and the powder and make the seal between the two shell casings. I would carry about four of them hunting though with a lubed patch and as long as you stay very conservative with the patch lube there will be no great amount of contamination to the powder. Try them and let me know how you like it!

Like most of my ideas this came out of having a need but not having any money! :shocked2:

I am not sure but I don't think there were any speed loaders in 72. And I don't think I even knew there was such a thing as PC in 1972 either. If there was a PC manual maybe someone can show me the book on it! :rotf:

Take care

rabbit03

Hi Clutch, glad you liked the idea. If you use them let me know how you liked it.

rabbit03

Thanks for the tips guys. Goin on the cheap right now so will use one of the $0 options. Just didn't want to lose a finger over it. :grin:

Is that 12 and 20 gauge shells?

mike

Latest posts

Back