• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pine needle hat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waksupi

Ric Carter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
After being shown how to do work with pine needles at the Wild Horse rendezvous on Memorial Day by my friend Chris Haxton, I thought I'd give it a try. I did a small basket first, and after finding out how easy it is to do, tackled a bigger project.
It took a couple buckets of pine needles, probably 100 yards+ of string, some thin leather for a sweat band, and some Fox braid for the hatband.
I don't know how many hours I have in the project. I would sit on the deck in the evenings watching the critters wander by, or while watching TV.
Any how, this was the end result. So, if you want a cheap hobby to consume many hours work, and get a nifty hat, start gathering pine needles!

IMG_1465.JPG

After being shown how to do work with pine needles at the Wild Horse rendezvous on Memorial Day by my friend Chris Haxton, I thought I'd give it a try. I did a small basket first, and after finding out how easy it is to do, tackled a bigger project.
It took a couple buckets of pine needles, probably 100 yards+ of string, some thin leather for a sweat band, and some Fox braid for the hatband.
I don't know how many hours I have in the project. I would sit on the deck in the evenings watching the critters wander by, or while watching TV.
Any how, this was the end result. So, if you want a cheap hobby to consume many hours work, and get a nifty hat, start gathering pine needles!

View attachment 343530
Our teacher in the fifth grade taught the class how to make a small bowl . At that time we had a few Long leaf Pine trees. Our work wasn't no where close to yours. Nice job!

I've seen the roofing crews here in SE Arizona wearing straw hats with wide brims and tall crowns. It keeps the sun off the face and lets some of the heat and steam off the top of the head. Those guys are up on the roofs working their tails off listening to music and talking away in Spanish in 100+ degree heat. I'm thinking a pine needle top hat with a wide brim might be a functional conversation piece on a hot day.

Nice looking hat! I've made many small baskets over the years but never a hat. You're an inspiration. I might have to attempt that as a winter project. Lots of needles come down in our fall rain storms so there's a good supply of raw material all around.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

View attachment 343530
Very nice!

Back