• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pioneer fffg loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbling

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am using Pioneer FFFG (1st can of powder) I havent tried anything else yet. Realize I should be using FFG but thats what came with the gun at Christmas. Pioneer states you should use a dry patch("use no lube"). I have pre lubed OX-Yoke wonder ticking 1000 plus patches in .018 And Cabelas pre-lubed patches in .020. I see the manufacturer of the rifle (Investarm/Cabelas Traditional Hawken Rifle .50 cal percusion) states to use lubed patches with round ball (Hornaday .490).
My experience has been: With the Cabelas .020 patch I had a bear of a time starting the ball down the barrell. Way too tight.
The .018 patches were definitly easier to start. I cant imagine tring to ram a ball with out lube...afraid to get it stuck half way.
Pioneer (e-mailed them) said to squeeze lube out and use them. I did notice that there was quite a bit of fouling between shots that I THINK is from the lube. Anyone out there with a similar setup who is shooting pioneer with dry patch sucessfully? Any insider tips?

If I were shooting Pioneer or any other synthetic black powder I would use a lube even though they seem to think that I shouldn't.
Ramming a dry patched ball is a good way to get it stuck half way down the bore. It also almost guarantees that the patch will burn thru when it is fired.

I will admit that I haven't shot Pioneer however I did shoot some Black Canyon powder years ago and it is my understanding that it was about the same stuff that Pioneer is selling now.
I've heard that Pioneer improved the powder and based on my experience with Black Canyon I certainly hope so. A guy at the range gave me two pounds of it and after shooting 20 shots with it I realized why he did.

Next time out I'm gonna try squeezin the patch as dry as I can and see if its any cleaner. I have very little experience with muzzle loaders but initialy....I'm impressed with the Pioneer. It lights reliably....no lag time really. Of course thats probably cause I'm using FFFG! Patterns consistantly. 3 shooters about 50-60 shots...we all agreed its about the same as shooting slugs and with LESS recoil.

Redneck where you from in NJ and where are you shooting? I'm in Parsippany, Morris County and shoot at the state range up in Flatbrook.

I too would not load a dry patch, you could try teflon treated patches, not sure where their available though.

Mike I am west of you....Belvidere/Washington area. I have farm country all around and the new Buckhorn springs tract is right behind my house. I have been going to Spruce run's range off of Rt78 so as not to rile the neighboors!

RedNeckBling said:
Mike I am west of you....Belvidere/Washington area. I have farm country all around and the new Buckhorn springs tract is right behind my house. I have been going to Spruce run's range off of Rt78 so as not to rile the neighboors!
Buckhorn Springs Tract? Is that a new WMA? If you ever want to get together and shoot let me know.

Yeah it's a new WMA the state bought like 2 years ago or so. Like 650 acres surrounded by houses at all road accesses. They did put a drive in lane in with parking for about 5 vehicles. Deer are scarce due to pressure from so manny visitors. I'm sure it will cool down again when everyone and their cousin and cousins nephew get dissapointed. I figure it will rebound in another 2 years. I am shooting with my 14 year old son Dan who got the rifle for Christmas. I am looking for one for me. I'm thinking I really like the Cabelas traditional Hawken. It's a pretty stock and seems to be carefully fitted. I had a lady at the range ask me how old it was....I laughed and said 24 hours! She was stunned. Thought it was an heirloom. So give me some time to settle in with my own and I'll trade numbers and we can hook up for some shootin. My best friend may buy one too. He was havin such a good time with this one. I think maybe a 54 cal perc is what I'll get just to be different from Dan's.

Sounds good when your ready let me know. If I may suggest take a ride to Dixon's in Kempton PA Dixons it's on the way to Cabelas only a few miles off of 78. I love going there and then Cabelas which is just another 15 minutes further on 78 west.

Great minds think alike....I was in Cabelas when this woman...Charlot I believe was her name told me about DIXONS. Great store! Bought a bunch of stuff there....patch knives,patchs,powder horn, Famous capper! etc. I can see me going there a lot!

Back