• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pirate Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for advice here folks. Any suggestions on where to find a flintlock pistol for fun and plinking, that won't break the bank?

My 12-year-old daughter likes to shoot a bit, and is head-over heels crazy about Johnny Depp and his character Cpt. Jack Sparrow in Disney's Pirates of the Carribean movies. When I mentioned I might be interested in getting a blackpowder pistol just for grins (transparent effort to lure the lass into joining Dad at the range) she jumped all over the idea. Only she insists it be a flintlock because "that's what Jack carries." Geez. Guess it'll be my introduction to flints, too.

So, any ideas. My percussion T/C Hawkins is a 50. cal, and to keep things easy I thought I'd try to stay in the same caliber, but that's negotiable. I'd like to stay around $200 if possible, so I guess i'm looking into the used market. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check these out.
[url] http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWpistol.shtml[/url]
[url] http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/handguns-01.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd go with one of these:[url] http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWscotmurdoch.shtml[/url]
It's suppose to be 51cal so a thick patched .490" round ball should work and it's just a neat looking pistol. My second choice would be this:[url] http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWess1756.shtml[/url]
I don't think you'll get out of this for under $300 bucks though, not many pistols worth shooting for $200.

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest thing to a $200 flintlock would be the Pedersoli Queen Anne. You can get it in kit form for about $200-$250 range, and it really is a one-afternoon-kit.

Other than that, the indian flint lock guns from Loyalist, Descriminating Genreral, and Middelsex are going in the $300 range, but nice.

Good Luck.

GoF

Thanks for the info, all. While I'm asking, I may as well ask for the sky...any chance of hitting what I aim at with any of these choices. What would be a reasonable distance...10 yards, 25?

Depends on what you load it with. If you load it with shot you might be able to hit something at 10 yds. :grin: Just kidding, depending on the gun about the same distance as with a caplock, just need lots of practice getting used to the flinter.

Daven said:
Thanks for the info, all. While I'm asking, I may as well ask for the sky...any chance of hitting what I aim at with any of these choices. What would be a reasonable distance...10 yards, 25?

The type of ignition (flint or cap) will not make any difference on accurate range, but rifled vs. smooth-bore will.
For a rifled bore pistol you should be able to work up a load good to about 50yd or so.
For a smooth bore pistol you will probably be limited to about 25 yd.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Don't know if they still have them , but Cherry's was selling flintlock Pedersoli "Kentucky" pistols for less than $200.00 :hmm: .

IMO, Dixie Gunworks is a valuable supplier of things we like.
They carry an incredable amount of stuff that you can get nowhere else.
They do however charge considerably more for their guns than most other suppliers and it has always been this way.

When looking for a new gun, it always pays to shop around. :grin: :)

Last night I went online and showed my daughter some of the pistols I was considering, including the Queen Anne, the English dragoon, and just as a fluke, the Traditions Trapper with double trigger and sights. She surprised me by voting for the Traditions. I explained there's nothing historically correct about this pistol, especially as concerns pirates. But she likes that it "looks cool" and she can aim it. Come to think of it, I've made more than one purchase using that same reasoning. I'm a paper puncher, so frankly I was glad she wanted something that's rifled and had sights on it. Anybody own one of these? Any opinions on it, good or bad?

As always, I'm grateful for this site. What a great source of info.

My wife owns a Trapper pistol in flint and I get to play with it occasionaly, They are extreamly accurate and quite reliable.
She has won several competitions with it. :thumbsup:

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

The closest thing to a $200 flintlock would be the Pedersoli Queen Anne. You can get it in kit form for about $200-$250 range, and it really is a one-afternoon-kit.

Other than that, the indian flint lock guns from Loyalist, Descriminating Genreral, and Middelsex are going in the $300 range, but nice.

Good Luck.

GoF
Not only is GoF 100% correct on this.,but if you are wanting the very same caliber as that rifle of yours., the Queen Anne is a .50 Caliber also. For a person wanting a 50 I think this make your choice clear.

Back