• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistols for squirrels and rabbits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edlebrock454

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I own a crockett pistol in .32 caliber and an 1851 colt navy in .36 caliber and was wondering has anyone used either of these for small game hunting and what were your loads and how was your accuracy, thanks.

I wish I had a .32 Crockett to try!
I don't know about the .36 - maybe it would do if you were practiced enough.
I've taken a few squacks and rabbit with my adjustable sight '58 Rem.

navysquirrel.jpg

I use my Pietta Navy all the time when I'm woods walking with my long rifle or SXS muzzleloading shotgun. Many shots are close and I don't see the need to use the longer guns.

This particulat pistol has accounted for squirrel, rabbit and one red fox!

My load is 15gr 777, a wonder wad and a .375 swaged ball.

It's an accurate load. Good for headshooting at 10 steps. But I had to do some work on the rear sight to get it there. It was dead on windage wise, but I had to cut the rear notch deeper without removing any of the debris shield that the hammer nose offers. I did this by deepening the rear notch with a very precise file and when I shoot, I rest the front bead deeply in the notch, rather than a traditional sight picture. It takes a tad getting used to, but with a few cylinder's full, you're read for hunting.

I use a ROA for woodchucks. It isn't legal here for deer or small game. In fact in PA, revolvers must be less than 23 cal for small game, so cap and ball guns are pretty much out.

If the Crocket is like the other stuff sold by Tradition, it would take a bit of work, to get it to be accurate enough for small game. Traditions ought to offer the gun with a single set trigger and a lock with a fly in it. I think that could be a great small game and target gun, with those added features. In addition, the cost of putting a better lock and a single set for them would only add about $30 to the wholesale cost. For after market alterations, it would take an entire new lock and a set trigger making it an additional $120 bucks. The folks at traditions could really improve the desirability of their guns with just a little extra effort. The rifle has set triggers and a better lock already. Why not incorporate the same into the companion pistol?

well i managed a head shot on a chipmunk with my 32 crockett. i used 20 grains FFF and a denium patched .310 ball.
thats all i have shot with my 32 crockett. i also have a 1858 new army that i have been practicing with and hopefully will be able to bag a squirrel or rabbit with it.

Back