• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Places To See in North Carolina?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howdy. I will be in North Carolina May 20-23 for a teacher fair. I plan to visit Smokey Mountains etc. but am wondering what French-Indian War/Rev War places, muzzle loading shops, etc. there are to see. Also, any events? Locals usually know where the best places are. Thanks.

Don Jose

Don,
Where are you staying in NC. I live in Asheville and could give you some good advice on places to visit.

Flying in to Charlotte on the 20th at about 12 noon. I will be camping out except for Sunday night (the 22nd)when I will stay at a hotel in Asheville (Econo Lodge Biltmore in ASheville, 190 Tunnel Road). The teacher fair is at the Renaissance Asheville Hotel. I fly out from Charlotte on the 23rd almost at midnight. I am therefor open to any suggestions. I want to see nature (first time in Smokey Mountains) and it would be nice to see some F&I/Rev War places too.

Thank ye good sir,

Don Jose
:thumbsup:

Hi Don,

Greensboro is only a short drive north(1 hr) of where you'll be. Guilford Courthouse is a Rev. War site and arguably one of the most important battles of the southern campaign. There's also Old Salem in Winston/Salem. Too bad you won't have any more time, our club is doing a shoot that same weekend and would be great to have you there.

Lancer

Consider sneaking south and going to Cowpens, King's Mountain and Fort 96. I did. Charleston is also a Rev. War site. The old customs house is still there (and they've got my tea).

Guilford Courthouse NHP is excellent. A great reenactment as well, and heartily recommend it! See the adjacent Tannenbaum Park (county or city) with the Hoskins house and related buildings, museum, visitor's center, etc. There's a mill outside of Greensboro where Lord Cornwallis "got his corn ground" (richt weel, no doubt)as he approached Guilford Courthouse (reference to a disgraceful song of the period!). They still grind corn, barley, etc. on site and it's fun to have bread, etc., made from grains ground in the same mill. Someone else will have to chip in with where it's actually located as I can't remember.

What a wonderful trip, in any event!!! You can't help but to enjoy that area!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Both Jim Chambers and Rice Barrel are really close to Ashville. Both are well worth visiting .
Remeber to take your check book or credit card cause the guns at Chambers are like kids and grand kids . Hard to not leave with one cradeled in your arm. :winking:

Woody

Great info! I think I'll go see that courthouse!

Hey Lancer, I can probably swing by the shoot as the job fair is on Monday. Let me know the info and I will try.

As far as the checkbook, no kidding! I don't even own a flinter yet (too broke) but I think I'll swing by one of those places and get tempted!

:thumbsup: :redthumb: :thumbsup:

Asheville is a wonderfull city and I envy anyone that lives there. Been trying to move there (from Charlotte) for the past few years.

Don, enjoy your time in our beautiful state!

-Wes

Don,

send me an e-mail and I can get you directions to the shoot from where you're staying and even show you around Guilford Courthouse if you'd like. The actual Courthouse isn't there anymore but it is an impressive place to walk around.

Lancer

When you say, "our club", are you referring to LLR, or a different club? Maybe I'll try to make that shoot... I've been meaning to get out there and shoot with you guys.

Lancer,
I'll be camping until Sunday evening, so the date/time location will let me plan to go around seeing Great Smokey Mountains etc. I have never seen the park so I don't know how long I'll be. If the shoot is on Sunday it may be perfect. I'll email you. Thanks.

Don,

The Beauford's Massacre event is on May 28th and 29th at Lancaster, SC. I can get details if you are interested.

Also Camden is just off of I-20 near Columbia, SC. I am not sure of your directions.

CS

Howdy! I will be in NC from 5/20 to 5/23. I will be in the Asheville area and in the GSMNP area.

Back