• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

plametto arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbuck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question about Plametto arms? Are they any good? Because I'm looking for a .45 Kentucky or Pensilvania to go with my Tennesse Poor Boy .45 cal that I've finished from TVM. I found a kit for about 144$ is this worth it or not?

Any and all comments welcome ( yes my mother dose wear combat boots) :crackup: :crackup:

I haven't had any experiance with Palmetto single shot pistols, but their C & B revolvers are pretty good.
IMO their revolvers are not in the same class as Pedersoli or Uberti but they are a fair return for the price they cost.

Good luck. :)

i have an older percussion single shot target type pistol made by Palmetto. bought it used from a dealer (Mike Harvey, now of Cimmaron Arms) about 1983/84, and yes, it had a load in it when i bought it... ::

finish and fit quality is good, but not excellent. shoots very well, loaded with a good strong load. doesn't like weak loads. if i shoot in a pistol match, it's the one i use.

The only problem i had was the hammer had a cup cut into it where it struck the nipple. Had to make a filler for the coutout to insure 100% cap ignition.

Haven't seen any of the newer products, can't tell you about them.

Your $144 sounds reasonable... if it seems to fit together well... i've done 2 "$50" kentucky kits, both had wood to metal fit issues, nose caps too short, etc...

have fun

rayb

:agree: rayb I think I have that same pistol. Mine is marked "Richland Arms" and "Made in Italy by Palmetto". It's a central hammer (scared to say inline) in .36cal, with a revolver look about it. Mine was given to me complete with a badly pitted bore but still shoots pretty fair. :)

Interesting. Mine looks kind of like a TC Contender when you first look at it. It is .45 cal. You are corrrect, the hammer is "in the middle". I'd have to look, but i think it also has the Richland arms notation. Mnne also has a round, adjustable trigger overtravel stop screw in the back of the trigger guard. Don't know if someone added that or if it came that way originally. Came with target style hand fitting grip as well. A central bolt in the frame holds the barrel into the frame. Remove the bolt, pull the barrel out of the frame for cleaning. Shoots good.

Yeah, that's the critter. Brass triggerguard like a Colt C&B revolver. There is also a neat little screw in the front of the trigger itself to adjust depth of trigger engagement, pretty neat idea really. I believe the CVA Prospector is similar but with more of a primitive grip.

This is a close copy of the old Tingle target pistol of ages ago. You have to be really old to remember those. They were a great target gun 40 and more years ago- I may have one down in the basement or up in the attic somewhere. You could interchange barrels and shoot smallbore or large with them. The Palmetto model was a pretty nice gun and hard to tell from the original.

The top pistol is a .40 calibre Tingle Model of 1960. The middle pistol is a .44 calibre ASM. And the bottom is a .36 calibre Palmetto Arms which is also marked Richland Arms.

252324.JPG

the bottom one is like mine, except for the caliber; mine's a .45. I like it a lot.

I've seen the Tingles advertised occasionally on the selling lists, but never tried one out.

Some one else is making a similar single shot, see them every once in a while. I think muzzleloading emporium had a used one listed last time i looked.

rayb

Back