• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

planning on building a 4bore any thought or tips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recycle33952

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Looking at building a 4 bore monster something capable of 300+ grain charges. Im waiting to hear from bruce at blue grouse on a 8 bore in the white. meanwhile im still dilligently searching for a 4 bore barrel and breach plug built like the titanic or a kit form rifle or a finished piece. does anyone have any ideas where this stuff can be found? There is not alot out there on 4 bores on the net. also found several old ones but I dont have a idea whether there safe to shoot. Id even be happy with a 4 bore smooth barrel. any ideas or recomended barrel thickness appreciated and any makers of barrels who can make one let me know. I know im nuts wanting a 4bore and yes momma was right someday im gonna shoot my eye out :thanks:

HOLY COW 2BORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THATS WHAT IM GETTING FORGET 4 BORE!!!!!!
HEEEE HE HE 10 POUNDS POWDER 10 POUNDS SHOT!!!!!!
LOOKING TO SEE ABOUT THE COMPOSITION OF THE STEEL IN THE OREGON BARREL COMPANY BARRELS. LOOKS GOOD SOFAR :thanks:

everytime I see the words "4 bore" I instantly think "get a good physiotherapist"
:D
good luck in your search...
this is a great article
HERE despite being about B*****loaders

heres another about the 4 and 8 bore compared:
HERE

ed rayl in W.Va makes 4 bore barrels either smoothbore or rifled.I am building a 4 bore blunderbuss with one of his barrels.He is really a good guy.My blunderbuss barrel is awsome to look down the muzzle of!!
J.J.

I've always noticed that guys that think they need a 4 bore are trying to make up for lack of size in other areas of their life... :p They advertise a pill for that on TV now, It would be cheaper than building the gun....
I'm not sure why a guy would need a 4 bore unless he was planing a safari to the Dark Continent...... but it's your choice!
:front:
Just jammin' ya alittle, don't get all bent out of shape.. :peace:

I'm currently working on my Underhammer kit from Blue Grouse Black Powder. The receiver will handle a barrel that up to 1 1/8" accross the flats by my measurement. Maybe Bruce has other ideas. So I don't know if that will work with your 4 bore project.

Good luck! :)

I made one. It is a smoothbore too. Mine is a sidelock back action. Figure on scratch building everyting. If you find a pre-made part consiter yourself lucky.

recoil???

Add a Sorbathane pad. I used a steel butplate, at first,.... bad idea.

All charges are 2F black with a .990 pure lead ball. I weigh 220# and am 43 years old. A strapping young guy might
think the heaviest charges are great fun. I do not.

Recoil is different than modern rifles. It is slower and pushes you more. A 300 Weatherby is more unpleasant than the 300 grain charge, to me. The 300 is fast, sharp, and nasty.

200 grains produces no significant recoil.
250 grains is not problem, kicks a bit though.
275 grains getting intersting, add your strap on shoulder pad now.
300 be carefull, pull it into your shoulder, lean foreward on your left foot.
325 Oh my!! This is getting serious. No bruising, with the Sorbathane pads. Your left foot may come off the ground.
350 This is too much. Pulled the glasses from my face. Somewhat dazed and incohearant. Shooting partners were laughing.

At the 350 and beyond, level it is sort of like taking a hit from Mike Tyson or a NFL linebacker. I woud take it very serioulsy. If you would not take a shot to he head from a boxer do not do this. I mean, if you have any doubts about the possibility about damaging your retenas or the blood supply in yout head think twice.

The only advice I can give is to get a good chiropractor, and check your medical coverage to see if it covers dislocations. :crackup: Bill

I think this should be posted on the Cannon Forum.If anything were to cause a flinch problem,This is it.Somewhere I have stories of some of the old time hunters in Africa useing 2 bores.It seems that being run over by an Elephant would be better than a full load recoil.If You manage to construct one of thease Beasts,give us a full report from intensive care.Just kidding! :bull:Do keep us posted on Your project. :front: ::

Just for the sake of clarity...Samuel White Baker's "Baby" was a 4-bore but he shot half pound exploding conicals of his own design...thus the common misconception that it was a "2-bore". Still, Baker notes that he fired "Baby" VERY rarely on game but it NEVER failed him.

Best,

Buffler Runner

Back