• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plastic wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDBRO

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Back in the 70's when I got my first CVA 50 I purchased plastic double cupped RB wads that worked well. I found some buried in my gun room and was wondering If anyone else ever used them and are they still available? I have a limited number of cal. 50 and 54 now and would like to get more. Thanks all.

Haven't seen any for years,,they've fallen out of vouge and manufature as far as I know,, :idunno:

LilGuy

Those things are no longer in production and many will suggest that they should not be used.

They had a bad habit of allowing the 'loaded' ball to roll forward in the barrel which creates a barrel obstruction that can lead to the barrel blowing up.

That said, I must note that we do not discuss modern projectiles which use plastic parts here on the Forum (see the Forum rules).

My only reason for violating this rule here is because of the inherent danger of using these items.
Having done this, may I suggest that rather than using modern devices why not try using cloth patches?
They have been used for over 150 years with good success. The store bought ones are fairly inexpensive and for an even greater savings you can make your own for about 1/4 cent apiece.

You will have to buy or make some patch lube but if your interested in saving even more money you can 'borrow' some Crisco from your wife's cooking supplies.

I too used those back in the 70's for awhile, but then was overcome by environmental guilt. (Although it didn't occur to me spreading lead around might not be too good either). You will see them on ebay sometimes but I think Zonie has the best advice on this one.

Oh, the poly patch. As effective as the foaming bore cleaners and barrel seasoning lube :rotf: . These gimmicks are out there for only one reason, and that's to take the money in your pocket, and put it in the seller's pocket.

Aside from the danger Zonie mentioned (which is a biggie), the plastic cups were too slick to effectively transfer the spin to the ball. For the most part, the cup would just spin around the ball. I also heard that they would leave melted plastic in the rifling, but that may have just been biased propoganda.

There's a reason we use a lubed patch, you just can't improve on that system, only tweek it to make it better. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back