• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please explain, rifle weights??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfrost

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking at several different rifle, Great Plains, Kentucky, Frontier etc., the Kentucky and Frontier's appear very similar but different lengths but both appear lighter than the Great Plains even though the Great Plains is the shorter of the bunch. What am I missing??

I've been comparing all .54 cal rifles

I've heard the term swamped barrel several times which I think is the explanation to my question but not positive

I've been comparing all .54 cal rifles

I've heard the term swamped barrel several times which I think is the explanation to my question but not positive
Assuming the same barrel length, a swamped barrel will make the overall rifle weight lighter, since the barrel is narrower with less metal in the middle. Also, the barrel's OEM may make several caliber's barrels from the same barrel blank, so a .54 cal barrel, having a larger bore, will be lighter than a .50 cal barrel with a smaller bore, if it's milled from the same blank.

Swamped barrels are fat at the breech, narrow towards the center, and flare at the muzzle. Compared to a straight contour you can save significant weight that could be it but I'm not familiar with those models.

Assuming the same barrel length, a swamped barrel will make the overall rifle weight lighter, since the barrel is narrower with less metal in the middle. Also, the barrel's OEM may make several caliber's barrels from the same barrel blank, so a .54 cal barrel, having a larger bore, will be lighter than a .50 cal barrel with a smaller bore, if it's milled from the same blank.
Dang it wis you beat me to it.

I don't think factory built rifles will have a swamped barrel only custom built so it depends on what you are looking for also some custom builders trim the stock some

Back