• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please help identify this cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ran in to it in one army/navy store, not sure if it's a real deal or some sort of folk art

20240627_140312.jpg
20240627_140315.jpg
20240627_140323.jpg

It is very odd in several respects - and appears to have a flap-type breech cover/closure. I can't see it as anything but a salute cannon, and would only use very light loads in it, in deference to the apparent weak breech closure.

mhb - MIke

I would have bought it had I seen it locally. Not sure what @mhb means by a weak breach closure, but a half cup of cannon powder should make a nice signal charge. Don't think I'd load projectiles without having the barrel tested somehow. Magnaflux maybe?

I would have bought it had I seen it locally. Not sure what @mhb means by a weak breach closure, but a half cup of cannon powder should make a nice signal charge. Don't think I'd load projectiles without having the barrel tested somehow. Magnaflux maybe?

I don't know about you, but I've never seen a ML cannon (or even a breech loader) with what appears to be a hinged flap over the breech end of the tube. The same hinge appears to support the 'flap' over the touchhole, as well... I do agree that a half-cup of BP should produce some interesting results - perhaps worthy of the Darwin awards.

mhb - MIke

The cascable is a 2 piece trailer ball. Are you old enough to remember them?

The assembled cascabel is clearly visible - why do you suppose it was attached to a hinged flap? Can you otherwise explain the hinged flap as a functional part of the gun? What about the slotted screws holding various parts of the hinged pieces together, or those next to the vent? The whole thing is just odd.

mhb - MIke

seller wants $850, you guys think it's fair price?
No opinion on the price - my concerns are with the original purpose and construction(?) of the piece. If you want it as a decorator, the value is TBD. If you have any intention to shoot it, I highly recommend you closely inspect its actual design: for instance, if you lift up the 'flap' which appears to close the breech end of the barrel, does the bore go completely through to the muzzle from that point, and what do you think of the strength and security of that closure, if such it is? Caveat Emptor!

Later:

I just noticed that there appears to be a screw through the breech plate securing it to the barrel, which might make lifting the flap difficult - I suggest an alternative method of determining whether that flap is, indeed, the sole closure of the bore: insert the rammer or a yardstick/tape measure at the muzzle and measure the depth to which it enters - I suspect it will contact that plate, showing that it does, indeed, furnish the only means of closing the bore, making it unsuitable for safe firing.

mhb - MIke

Last edited:
I agree with Hawkeye2. To me. it looks like something cobbled together by some bored and crazed owner of a junkyard. A Frankencannon if you like. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot Linstock. It would be grossly overpriced at $5.:eek:

If you want something impressive and trustworthy to boot, get yourself one of these. It's a 1/8 scale naval 9" Dahlgren complete with a Marsilly carriage. It has a 1 inch seamless steel bore liner so it's safe to shoot with a projectile. It's 67 lbs of cannon and only $647 from South Bend Replicas. That probably doesn't include shipping. They have other choices all the way up to full size stuff

ZILyoYX.jpg

1719681512155.png

Last edited:
If you have some extra space in your home for odd pieces. This Rube Goldberg Cannon might look unique. But the price of $850 Please $85 would be if you really want it. By the way it is not the real deal.

Last edited:
Back