• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please Help to Identify smooth bore flintlock......Thanks!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having trouble finding any info at all

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00011.jpg
    IMG_00011.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 0
With that brass nose cap and the 3 or 4 inches of bare barrel, I would venture it is a military carbine. Perhaps an officers carbine or personal Fusil? (The front sight or bayonet lug appears missing?)
My uneducated guess is British. A close up if the lock would be great. It has an unbridled pan which might indicate an early gun.
It’s lovely, actually.

Last edited:
I replied to your other thread:

I just noticed it has a 3 stage barrel. Jim Kibler explained these were often found on mid- grade export Fowing pieces from England. The engraving isn’t very fine and the thumb piece is off- center. Lack of proof marks might support its being made for export.
Proportionally it looks like a cut down Fowler to me. But having an iron ramrod that seems to fit the pipes (wooden ramrods were thicker) is another curiosity. I don’t know if Fowlers ever were equipped with iron or steel rammers?
It has no front sight. Also, a curiosity is the long exposed barrel with a brass nose cap, which makes me thing a for- military conversion?
Finally the lock is unbridled which could mean an early piece.
One other possibility might be a lower grade private purchase military carbine.
It looks like it’s in wonderful condition and hope your search for info on it is fruitful.
I also hope Dave Person gives it a look over.

Last edited:
With the effort put into the mounts its odd if it has an unbridled steel (most call a frizzen ) first glance ime thinking a 'commercial' for some vollunteer house hold /.Estate Or Might be made in the Colonies by migrant arizans hence no proofs & no Bridle .

I mean WE make guns up' one man band 'style as we don't have much option (Besides Mr Kibler &' The Emperor of lock mechanics ' Jim Chambers )

Looks like someone polished the history off that barrel.
Sure did Bit of an oddity with No proofs All guns had to be proofed only Scotland didn't have too at one stage If its a mystery its a nice enough one the glare will mellow down or re brown. Do I see a name on the lock plate ? If the Bayonet boss has been removed mayhap the tell tale evident remains "little cuts & a hint of braze ? at the end of the day the customer is all way's right even if he's a blithering idiot ! Rudyard's museings

Back