• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need to get rust out of my Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishboyat

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all hope you're in good health, I recently acquired a T/C OMEGA, I don't know any thing about its past besides it had been shot and never cleaned. As far as cleaning goes I've let the Bore sit with solvent in it, used soapy water with Baking soda, I even made a concaution with bore solvent mixed with baking soda. And the thin layer of rust won't come out which the barrel has shallow pitting near the breach and muzzle with none in-between here are some crappy photos
20240926_051920.jpg
and the rust is a redish brown. Any advice will be help full thank you all
20240926_052004.jpg

Go to the car parts store and get the valve grinding compound. I use the two part with course and fine pastes. Get a smaller jag and some green scratch pads, cut a small square, put the grinding compound on the square and polish away. I check after 200 strokes with each to see how much more is needed.

Valve grinding compound will remove the high spots, might smooth edges on some of the pitting but pits will remain. Accuracy may be fine, but pitting will hold onto fouling and crud will build up. Still a shooter but swabbing every few shots may be required.

Back