• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please recommend some custom builders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mspaci1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Very interested in a flintlock build, want a plain southern style long rifle. please recommend some builders, Thanks, Mike

Cabin Creek in Hallam, PA. Brad and Sean Emig. They do beautiful work. Here is mine.

Attachments

• rifle00.jpg
    rifle00.jpg
    1.6 MB
  • rifle001.jpg
    rifle001.jpg
    2 MB
If you are a little handy, you can buy a Kibler and put it together yourself. All the inletting is done, pretty much just needs assembled and wood/metal finished. For getting one built, there's Cabin Creek as mentioned, Mountain man musket company out in Knox PA, TVM, Kashtuk bow and gun. These are the ones I've seen and handled, all are worth owning. Many more out there that I've seen on here and other sites.

If @mspaci1 has any skills in woodworking and a few small inletting chisels, then @Thingamajiggy's suggestion to get a Kibler SMR kit is probably the best suggestion. There are a number of advertisements in "Muzzle Blasts", the magazine of the NMLRA for builders. There will be a longer wait time to get a finished Southern Mountain Rifle built than the nearly complete kit from Jim Kibler.
https://www.jimkibler.net/
TVM, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, may have some rifles available. They do build a reasonable semi-custom rifle. You can specify some features such as length of pull, drop at heel, length and maker of the barrel, caliber, triggers and lock.
https://www.tvmnatchez.com/

If you are a little handy, you can buy a Kibler and put it together yourself. All the inletting is done, pretty much just needs assembled and wood/metal finished. For getting one built, there's Cabin Creek as mentioned, Mountain man musket company out in Knox PA, TVM, Kashtuk bow and gun. These are the ones I've seen and handled, all are worth owning. Many more out there that I've seen on here and other sites.
I'm finishing up a Kibler Colonial kit right now. Those come so finished you can darn near put it together out of the box and go shoot. Only problem I had was the lock plate screw holes were off center and took quite a bit of careful filing on the stock to correct. Hand down the least amount of work on a kit gun I've had my hands on. Would also highly recommend paying the extra for the wood upgrade. I didn't and now kinds wish I had. Still perty though.

My next one here in a few months after taxes and some expensive bills will be a Cabin Creek, looking at that ladies and boys rifle for the wife.

I’m not absolutely sure, but I have been given to understand that Jim Kibler will custom build one of his long guns for you.

It might be worth a phone call to find out, though…

I’m not absolutely sure, but I have been given to understand that Jim Kibler will custom build one of his long guns for you.

It might be worth a phone call to find out, though…
I got an email from them Friday that they will have a finished rifle from his shop up for sale in the next couple weeks when it's completed. Says it's a Southern Mountain Rifle in .45 with a curly maple stock. I think but am not fully positive they put those up on this site. Kibler's Longrifles

Track of the Wolf has a flintlock .54 mountain rifle that is a 35" barreled half-stock by Ron Paull for sale. It sort of fits in its own semi-SMR category, but seems well made. It would make a nice hunting gun.

I see you are in New York. That part of the world has literally dozens of builders.
Allen Martin, Dave Person, Brad Emig, just to list a few.
These will all have a long wait time, as will any reputable builder.

Yeah I figured these has to be a bunch of builders up around here, just new to this so dont know who does it. Been muzzleloading since 88-89 but new ro flinters, Mike

Very interested in a flintlock build, want a plain southern style long rifle. please recommend some builders, Thanks, Mike
If you want, send me a PM Mike. I am building a southern rifle right now that is spoken for, but can send pictures of past builds and such. No wait time except for parts!

I build Southern Mountain rifles from a blank. The top gun is my personal rifle; and the bottom is the last one I finished. I'll be putting the last coat of oil on one today (rifle number 10), and will be putting it together later this week. All of the furniture is mine, as well as the triggers on the bottom gun. I make the triggers for my guns now. I'm in the Northwest though, and shipping and a crate to NY would run over $200 these days.

20220521_175939.jpg

They are elegant rifles. Thank you for posting.
You might think it not possible to build a sorry long rifle. But it is indeed possible. At this time, if I did not start with something like a Keebler kit I would likely produce something to be ashamed of.
There are things I do well. But I am also blessed with 5 thumbs on each hand.

Last edited:
Jim Kibler does finish out rifle kits. He also knows of several builders who will finish his kits for you.
They are extremely easy to put together.
Another one, the woods runner that they offer. Comes pretty much all together. Butt plate, trigger, trigger guard and I think the lock is already installed.
You just have to put barrel in place stain and finish Browning the barrel or leave it as is....

Back