• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plinking with a 45cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever shoots the most accurate. A load of 40 grs of 3f should be ok as well as maybe even lighter loads. Try 25-30 grs and see how it does.

paulvallandigham said:
Just remember to clean the barrel between shots.
Just out of curiosity why after each shot, if just plinking with so little powder?

I have used 60 grs of WANO PP with good accuracy at 50 meters.

Regards

Kirrmeister

My standard load is 55gr 3f. But then I have a 42 inch barrel. So it kinda depends on what your shootin. 35-40 should do just fine.

And I dont EVER clean my barrel anytime Im in the field. The 1000th stuff down the pipe as easy as the first.

Yeah for T/C 1000+ products

How many shots could you get from a tub of pyrodex usin say 40grains of powder per shot?

Just curious :hmm:

So you don't get the ball stuck in the barrel, and have to spend an hour trying to get enough powder in the vent, to shoot it out!

dukewellington said:
How many shots could you get from a tub of pyrodex usin say 40grains of powder per shot?
Just curious :hmm:
Well, the only way I know to explain it is to start like this...be patient:

A pound has 7000 grains actual weight in it.
A 100grn powder measure hold an amount of real black that also weighs 100grns weight...that's the standard against which BP subs are referenced.
So, if you were using real BP, you'd get 175 40grn shots. (7000 dividied by 40)

However, Pyrodex actually weighs less than real BP.
When pouring Pyrodex into a 100grn powder measure, the amount of powder in that 100grn volume measure only actually "weighs" 72grns (or 82grns, forget which...Hodgdon's website should show it).
So if its 72grns actual weight in a 100grn volmetric measure, that's a 72% reference.
Take 72% of your 40grn question, which is 29grns actual weight...divide that into 7000grns of actual weight, and you should get about 241 shots.

(or if the Hodgdon Pyrodex weight reference is 82 / 100 instead of 72/100, just recalculate)

My head hurts but I think the approach is correct...others...please double check me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I would get 242 shots from pyrodex? :hmm:
Maths is the only subject I had to re-take LOL :rotf:
Also, 40grains of pyrodex is the same power as about 50g of BP right?

Yes, pretty close...or instead of trying to remember all those details just remember this:
"you can shoot a whole lot"
:grin:

It takes a while to shoot a lot of shots with muzzleloaders. You could be there all day and only shoot 100.
I prefer to shoot about 30-50 though :wink: while taking my time and drinking around 10 cans of DR pepper LOL

Britsmoothy said:
Something like that Duke.Same here on the maths :shake:

Britsmoothy.

I'm re-doing GCSE maths it evening class as I need it for uni. I am hopeless at maths though :doh:

dukewellington said:
Maths is the only subject I had to re-take LOL :rotf:

You and me both! :rotf:

I get good results with 30 grains FFFG in a .45 T/C Seneca. It's a gentle shooting and quite load that is surprisingly accurate up close. Since yours is a smoothy, you might can drop it to 20-25 grains.

paulvallandigham said:
So you don't get the ball stuck in the barrel, and have to spend an hour trying to get enough powder in the vent, to shoot it out!
If your having issues like that something is wrong. I clean after 3 to 4 shots but that is just to maintain accuracy. I could easily go 3 times that before I would have any issues.

40 grains of Pyrodex by volume yields 50 grains of BP. 72 grains of Pyrodex by volume yields 90 grains of Black Powder. 80 grains of Pyrodex by volume yields 100 grains of BP. This according to the chart in the Hodgdon Data manual.

Remember that Pyrodex, both RS and "P", have a higher flash point than does Black Powder. That is why Black Powder must be used in Flintlocks, where Pyrodex, and other substitute powders may be used in percussion ignition guns.

Back