• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pocket Colt Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody carry a Colt's Pocket?
1849pocket-1.jpg

How do you like them? What are they good for? Accurate? Trying to get a bearing on if I want one or not. Does yours see regular use or are they just novelties?

When I was a kid, my best friend had an original Colt pocket pistol that had belonged to his Great Grandfather. It was .36 cal and the barrel was only 2" or so. No loading lever. We used two load it by removing the cylinder and pushing the balls in with the cylinder post. I'm not sure but it may have been a 5 shot. It had a flute cylinder. His Great grand father carried it in pocket. It tis gone now. His little brother took it to some friends house and they were shooting it in his back yard with just powder to make noise. The city cops showed up and took it. They told him to have his Dad come to the station to pick it up. His brother was too afraid to tell Dad, so it was gone.

The Colt .31 caliber Pocket Pistols are definitely small.
I have a pretty normal size hand and the grip on my 1849 Colt is only large enough for me to grip it with two fingers. My little finger hangs off of the bottom of the grip.
Their a fun little gun to shoot but the small cylinder makes loading percussion caps on the nipples a bit of a challenge.
Silver-004a.jpg

Above is a picture of my 1849 after I silver plated the trigger guard and grip strap. It's the one on the bottom below the (also small grip) 1862 Colt Police and the larger Colt 1851 Navy.

I like them so much, that I bought an unfired example from our classifieds (Thanks, Gary).

It's enroute as we speak, and I can hardly wait to take it shooting - and build a fitted presentation case for it.

I like them so much, that I bought an unfired example from our classifieds (Thanks, Gary).

It's enroute as we speak, and I can hardly wait to take it shooting - and build a fitted presentation case for it.
It will almost certainly require some work to be made reliable. Plan on replacing the nipples right off with some with the smaller flash holes. Mainspring may need replaced as well. Front sight too.
I have some little experience with the small-frame Colts, and have found them to be problematic, yet delightful little guns once they have been tweaked and properly tinkered with.
Easy to see why they were so popular back in the day.

Last edited:
Several years ago, I bought a new Uberti 1892 Police, the same frame as the 1849 in .36cal, and never had a lick of trouble with it over the 3 years I shot it.

I only sold it because I needed the $$

I took an inexpensive Pietta brand, "Confederate Navy .44" and cut down the barrel, squared it, crowned the rifling, and then removed the loading lever assembly, to make a CAS "pocket pistol" handgun for CAS side matches. It was accurate out to 15' even without a front sight post.

LD

I have two 48 and had 1 49. I am told colt made more pockets and They were the most accurate pistols made by colt. Not really powerful. Mine chronograph at 700' per second. But are very light and handy to carry. Wont-work well if you have large hands.

Anybody carry a Colt's Pocket?
View attachment 65232
How do you like them? What are they good for? Accurate? Trying to get a bearing on if I want one or not. Does yours see regular use or are they just novelties?

The .31 is pretty weak for carry. Why not consider it’s bigger brother in .36?

A fellow on another forum also creates conicals and made a short .36 cal bullet that weighs 110 grns. With a 20 grn charge of 3F Swiss or Olde Eynsford showed it to be akin to a .380 ACP. I wouldn’t rely on anything short of that for low risk carry.

I have two 48 and had 1 49. I am told colt made more pockets and They were the most accurate pistols made by colt. Not really powerful. Mine chronograph at 700' per second. But are very light and handy to carry. Wont-work well if you have large hands.

That is the first time I have ever heard anyone accuse these guns of being "accurate"! LOL!

Back