• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pocket Remington issues.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a pocket Remington not functioning correctly. Took it apart and gently removed any burrs with a needle file. Reassembled without the cylinder inserted. The timing was correct. Adding the cylinder and after cycling twice the piece would "lock up" (the cylinder would not turn). The bolt was down and the hammer would move back 1/4 of it's travel length. Removing the cylinder allowed the action to function correctly as before.

What's the issue?

Thanks.

I can't imagine that if everything is clean it would be binding on the cylinder pin and if the bolt is down and out of the way that leaves only the hand, forcing cone, or recoil shield to cause the binding....strange....following. Are you sure it is the cylinder locking up and not the internals?

I found the problem - there was a visible small "bead" or large burr poking out of one chamber. It would hang on the breech of the barrel. You would have to look closely and run a finger over the top of the cylinder Once removed all is now normal.

Thank you for the response. I've been in this hobby for decades and I'm still learning things.

What's the issue?

I'm sorry, but without a better description of exactly what your particular "issue" is you can't expect informed responses applicable to remediating your problem. "Not functioning correctly" is not specific enough to inform us of what the exact problem is. It sounds from your OP you know what you're observing and doing, so just be a little more specific, please.

OOPS - after hitting "Save" discovered the OP had simulposted and found the problem, so .... "Never mind"
never mind.jpg

Keep on keeping on. Well done, OP. :thumb:

Recall that little pocket Remington Clint Eastwood used to deliver the coup de gras to the "sheriff" who had that posse. What was the name of that one? The movie where he popularized conversion cylinders with his Remington full size. The "posse" all had the dusters, and had killed the Tin Pan prospector.

I found the problem - there was a visible small "bead" or large burr poking out of one chamber. It would hang on the breech of the barrel. You would have to look closely and run a finger over the top of the cylinder Once removed all is now normal.

Thank you for the response. I've been in this hobby for decades and I'm still learning things.
Thanks for letting us know. Many people post their problems, get pages of advice and are never heard from again.

Recall that little pocket Remington Clint Eastwood used to deliver the coup de gras to the "sheriff" who had that posse. What was the name of that one? The movie where he popularized conversion cylinders with his Remington full size. The "posse" all had the dusters, and had killed the Tin Pan prospector.

Preeeeeeacherrrrrrrrrr . . .

Pale Rider

Mike

Preeeeeeacherrrrrrrrrr . . .

Pale Rider

Mike

Funny - I couldn’t think of any humorous quotes from that one. Oh wait - “Put a little ice on that.”

Last edited:

So, how does it shoot?

The revolver was the 1863 Remington pocket, and the movie was Pale Rider. May have been using movie prop conversion cylinders, but I am not sure they weren't supposed to be representing regular C&B loaded extra cylinders.

The little pistol preacher used was a Remington New Model Police not the pocket model.
The revolver was the 1863 Remington pocket, and the movie was Pale Rider. May have been using movie prop conversion cylinders, but I am not sure they weren't supposed to be representing regular C&B loaded extra cylinders.

The little pistol preacher used was a Remington New Model Police not the pocket model.
OK so now I am really confused and am going tohave to go and watch the movie again.

This website, which is known for its accuracy, is apparently inaccurate in two accounts, one calling The .31 Remington the "1858 Pocket" when I am thinking it is the 1863, and two, possibly not identifying it as the Remington New Model Police.

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Pale_Rider

Here we have our friend, Duelist1954 talking about his Remington New Police in .38 rimfire

And then we have various websites confusing the 1858, the 1863, the .31, 38 rimfire and the .36 all as the "New Police"

https://www.bing.com/search?q=remin...22B5040B884047D286D6B69A2&clckatsg=1&hsmssg=0

What's the deal?

Latest posts

Back