• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Pointability" Army vs Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capper said:
DanChamberlain said:
I have switched the grip on my 51 Navy ASM to an 1860 Army ASM. Worked fine. Made the Army feel just right.

Dan

You mean you switched the grip frame and grip? No way the grip itself would switch.

Requires changing both the TG and Grip Frame when changing grips from Navy to Army etc.
If you have an Army and these parts do not interchange with the Navy then one of the revolvers is not a true copy
Dan

I have a 2nd gen. Colt 51 navy and it does in fact "point" better and quicker than my Uberti 60 army. It even does better than my Pietta 61 navy. When I extend my arm toward any object that I am looking at, the muzzle of the 51 is pointed right at it. With the other two, the muzzles are pointed slightly up and above the object.

Exactly as Bill says though, the 60 army grip frame is longer, and due to my big hands, it naturally feels better and is more comfortable in the long run to hang onto and to shoot. The army grip "feel" is one of the reasons that make it my most favored revolver.

I do think a more accurate comparison would be to use revolvers of all the same make instead of the mis-match that I have used, but this is all that I had on hand.

Here are a couple of pics that may provide a better perspective of the grip differences

SANY0080.jpg

SANY0076.jpg

SANY0077.jpg

The 1860 grip fills my hand.

SANY0078.jpg

Not quite enough room for my little finger on the 1851 grip

SANY0079.jpg

Or the 1861 grip

That's why I shoot 1860's in CAS. I have big paws, and the 51's don't fit.
I did shorten the 60's to 5 1/2" barrels, and now they point better than any Colt i've tried.

Quicker on the draw too.

The grip "frame" on the ASM 1851 and ASM 1860 are interchangeable on those two pistols. Of course the "grips" are not.

Technically, on most of the imports, if not on the original Colts, there is no difference between the frames of the 1851 and 1860 except the cutout to accommodate the rebated cylinder of the 1860. The frames are the same otherwise.

Dan

I'm talking about the grip frame. Back strap if you will. I've been calling it a grip frame all my life.

Placing the bottom of the grip frame on a flat surface will show that few repros, either C&B or cartridge match the original Colt BS and TG.
Most will point the muzzle higher than the original.
The "Colt" repros (Uberti parts) and the Uberti's were always pretty good C&Bs for pointing etc. The "pocket" models are too small for me though.
The C&B Colt design is the best of the gunfighter guns though the SA Colt is pretty darned good too.
The other SA revolver designs are also rans.
The 60 Army makes wound channels in gelatin about like the best 38 special loads and is calculated to be a 75% stopper. So its not a pop gun by any means.
Dan

Thanks for the additional info Dan :) That helps and makes good sense in explaining the muzzle position pointing up on the repros.

Also like you, I find the pocket models too small.

Take care... Steve

kwilfong said:
SO; will the grip frame from a '51 fit a '60? I've been turned off by the .44 cal "51's" but maybe there's something there??

If you are talking about just trhe wooden grips then - no -!
But you change the grip trigger guard and back strap(grip frame) and they interchange.
The 51 and 60 Colt used the same main frame with the 60 being milled out for the rebated cylinder of the 44 cal.

I sort of like the fit of the '51 Navy. I don't have overly large hands, but I still curl my pinky under the grip. I feel it gives a slight edge in directional control...maybe it's all in my head, but it feels that way.
But I could definitely see where shooters with big paws would feel more at home with the Army. Mine almost feels TOO large.

CaptainKirk said:
I sort of like the fit of the '51 Navy. I don't have overly large hands, but I still curl my pinky under the grip. I feel it gives a slight edge in directional control...maybe it's all in my head, but it feels that way.
But I could definitely see where shooters with big paws would feel more at home with the Army. Mine almost feels TOO large.
thats exactly the way a handgun is shot. pinky under the grip and thumb behind the cylinder resting near the hammer. you will shoot much better. and be able to control the gun.

FWIW: it might have been mentioned somewhere else but a few early production/protoype stage original 1860s had Navy grips.
I have bigger than average hands. My "1960 New Model Army" Centaure Marshals with 5,5" barrels are the best "pointers" in my arsenal.
Long Johns Wolf

On Dixie, they advertise their 1851 front and back straps as "Will fit reproduction Colt 1851 Navy, 1861 Navy, and the original Colt 51,60,61 & conversion."

Capper. read it again. I clarified in my post just above yours. The grip "Frame" will interchange between the two pistols. I'd be willing to bet that this is true of any manufacturer, whether it be Pietta or Uberti. The gun frame (not the grip frame) is the same between the 1860 and 1851 with the exception of the cut out to accommodate the rebated cylinder of the 1860.

Of course, the "grips" do not interchange.

Dan

I know, but you'd have to keep Pietta grips with Pietta grip frames, because they aren't accurate. Uberti would probably interchange with real Colts.

The short 5 shot small cal pocket guns are definately not in the same class as their larger more efficient counterparts but likley quite sufficient and conceialble for "across the table work" back in the day.I suspect one would offer a great deal to the feeling of security when added as a member of ones personal arsenal.

FWIW
I now have a Pietta '51, '60, 58 Remmie, Pietta "target" remmie, & Euroarms Remmie at hand. For me the "pointabilty" is 1) '51 . 2) All the Remmies, & 3) the '60. It's all subjective but the '51 just fits, the Remmies aren't bad & the '60 is just a bit long to the trigger. Bigger hands probably favor the '60.

I've got big paws, and the 60 is perfect. The Remington's are way to small for me. I bang my knuckle when it fires.

So, it does depend on your hand size.

Back